Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Water - the new hottest commodity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately for many parts of the country, rainfall has been scarce to non-existent.

Take parts of Texas, for instance, where they are experiencing the worst drought since 1895.

One would think the need for water would be for bathing, cooking, growing etc.

Wrong.

It is in huge demand by oil exploration companies to enable them to continue their process called "fracking".

Water is the new liquid gold in Texas

The Eagle Ford's peculiar geology means each well fracked requires an amount of water equivalent to that used by 240 adults in an entire year for cooking, washing and drinking.
I keep thinking about 2 things that have happened over the past couple of years...

First, the 2008 GOP convention chant of Drill, baby, drill. Texas, and many politicians, are so oil rich that some have no idea of their worth. As some point, Texans are going to have to decide to drink and bath in clean water or in crude oil.

The second thing is, do you know who the largest private land owner is in the United States? None other than media mogul Ted Turner. I recall reading an article several years ago regarding the controversy of Ted Turner's continued purchasing of land. His staff was buying and bidding on land that no one else could compete with thanks to his millions (perhaps billions). The controversy was not his purchasing of large tracts of land. The controversy was lay beneath the land. While officially Mr. Turner's spokespeople exclaimed his love of nature and conserving the wide open spaces for future generations to enjoy...unofficially there was talk of Mr. Turner buying massive amounts of land (literally millions of acres) over one of the nations' largest aquifers.

Rumors were being spread about the media mogul's underlying motive's was to control the majority of water in what is the nation's bread basket. Climate change is unquestionable. With the changes in climate, the need to water for irrigation and sustainable crops is also unquestionable. Without an adequate water supply, the US agriculture market would be in serious trouble. The same market is also responsible for not only feeding the nation but also exporting amounts in the billions of dollars.

I see what is going on in Texas and the possible attempts to control the water markets and aquifers as a serious national threat and a security threat.

Even the Climate Change Seen as Threat to U.S. Security dicusses some of those concerns not only abroad but on a National level as well.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. At the very least, interesting to me since I first read these articles about Ted Turner several years ago. The suspicions by many may actually have some credibility.

Does he want to actually control the water supply?

Mykeul

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Just to illustrate, I invite everyone interested in Fracking to watch the documentary named "GAS LAND"
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhfvhy_gasland_news

I agree in advance it is "a bit" too against fracking, however some facts cannot be denied.

Have a nice day

Mykeul
PS : Yes, they want to frack @ 15miles from my house and I am scared :)

Last edited:

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Presently we live on a similar amount of land with great well water (and city water) and a nice spring fed creek.

Also have a couple of more springs on the property.

Additionally, we own a waterfront lot on Lake Norman (having sold another one). But that lake (as massive as it is - largest man made freshwater lake east of the Mississippi) is controlled by Duke Power who essentially dictates the lake level. A few years back during drought, the water level was down 17 feet. That was a huge hit on realtors trying to sell lake front property when there was no water fronting the property.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are places in Africa or the Middle East where lakes have almost completely dried up. Settlements that were once beside a lake are now miles from it, docks and all still there with land all around.

H2FC

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just to illustrate, I invite everyone interested in Fracking to watch the documentary named "GAS LAND" http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xhfvhy_gasland_news
I just watched all 47 minutes of this and I can't find the words to describe how bad and how mad it makes me feel. But I'm not the least bit surprised because it just proves once again the power of the almighty dollar when the greedy rich find new ways to acquire it. They will stop at nothing to add to their wealth no matter how many lives lost or suffering it cost the unfortunate common people who are affected....which are all the rest of us.

As usual there will be some who defend such actions and support the greedy rich in their quest for another dollar. These are the ones who should give serious thought to their opinions because in reality they are just as guilty as those who actually benefit from such inhuman actions even though they themselves don't benefit one cent from it.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm originally from Maine and would love to be able to convince my wife to settle down there.

My wife is partially open to the idea. But the Florida heat has her spoiled... Hoping when the kids are all gone we can do the snowbird thing.

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately for many parts of the country, rainfall has been scarce to non-existent.

Take parts of Texas, for instance, where they are experiencing the worst drought since 1895.

One would think the need for water would be for bathing, cooking, growing etc.

Wrong.

It is in huge demand by oil exploration companies to enable them to continue their process called "fracking".

Water is the new liquid gold in Texas

The Eagle Ford's peculiar geology means each well fracked requires an amount of water equivalent to that used by 240 adults in an entire year for cooking, washing and drinking.
I keep thinking about 2 things that have happened over the past couple of years...

First, the 2008 GOP convention chant of Drill, baby, drill. Texas, and many politicians, are so oil rich that some have no idea of their worth. As some point, Texans are going to have to decide to drink and bath in clean water or in crude oil.

The second thing is, do you know who the largest private land owner is in the United States? None other than media mogul Ted Turner. I recall reading an article several years ago regarding the controversy of Ted Turner's continued purchasing of land. His staff was buying and bidding on land that no one else could compete with thanks to his millions (perhaps billions). The controversy was not his purchasing of large tracts of land. The controversy was lay beneath the land. While officially Mr. Turner's spokespeople exclaimed his love of nature and conserving the wide open spaces for future generations to enjoy...unofficially there was talk of Mr. Turner buying massive amounts of land (literally millions of acres) over one of the nations' largest aquifers.

Rumors were being spread about the media mogul's underlying motive's was to control the majority of water in what is the nation's bread basket. Climate change is unquestionable. With the changes in climate, the need to water for irrigation and sustainable crops is also unquestionable. Without an adequate water supply, the US agriculture market would be in serious trouble. The same market is also responsible for not only feeding the nation but also exporting amounts in the billions of dollars.

I see what is going on in Texas and the possible attempts to control the water markets and aquifers as a serious national threat and a security threat.

Even the Climate Change Seen as Threat to U.S. Security dicusses some of those concerns not only abroad but on a National level as well.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. At the very least, interesting to me since I first read these articles about Ted Turner several years ago. The suspicions by many may actually have some credibility.

Does he want to actually control the water supply?

This is where your water is going
this is insane
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-from-reservoir-after-man-urinates-in-it.html

they need to throw the administrators in jail
i mean how many birds crap in that reservoir and all its acres every day flying over? no way to know but sure is bound to be quite a few and unavoidable
has anyone every told him that fish excrete bodily fluids out their rear end?
simply unreal

you can't make this up
if you live in this state you need to be making official complaints at the highest level imho

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this is insane
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...-from-reservoir-after-man-urinates-in-it.html

i mean how many birds crap in that reservoir and all its acres every day flying over? no way to know but sure is bound to be quite a few and unavoidable
simply unreal

you can't make this up
if you live in this state you need to be making official complaints at the highest level imho
I had heard about this but this article is the first one I had seen them mention the cost.

Here's the kicker...do you think this is the only guy who has done this? No, he is the only one that got caught.

I love this quote from the city administrator...

"There are people who will say it's an over reaction. I don't think so. I think what you have to deal with here is the 'yuck' factor," he said.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
No wonder many invest in "cloud" domains. It's a known fact that clouds produce water.

Seraphim

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is insane

simply unreal

you can't make this up

Hahahahahahaha... great find Pred. This happened in Oregon. Hahahahahaha...

Just goes to show you how little I understand Oregonian logic. So if a deer pisses in the reservoir they have to drain it as well? What about a trout taking a dump in the water? What about two salamanders fornicating in the water? What if a bird shits into the water? I pay Oregon state income taxes for God's sake, nice to see they're being put to good use. I also always thought the tap water was filtered and treated. I guess not. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom