Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

moniker We are about to transfer 600+ domains out of Moniker because of poor service

This is a discussion about the domain name register/company Moniker.
Status
Not open for further replies.

andre

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't usually like to publicly 'shame' anyone - no business or any human being is without imperfections but recently the situation has taken a turn for the worse at Moniker.com and that is why I decided to post this publicly to get the attention of someone, anyone in charge and who still 'bothers'

I represent a company with a very large holding of premium websites and internet services. Our company owns well over 600 domains and all are at Moniker We moved there a few years ago, drawn mainly by their extra security and what seemed like good customer service at the time.

On 2013-10-31 we ordered a transfer in of a domain from another registrar. This was for a domain we won in auction and as always, we like to consolidate our domains in one account at Moniker. 48 hours later and the seller reported that FOA email was not received, so we initiated another request and again it was not received. Seller checked his spam / junk email filters etc... and nothing there, so we suggested he change the email account on his file and we tried again, twice and no email was received. We submitted a VIP support request and also followed it up with a regular support ticket on 11/06/2013 and no response.

We were starting to look bad in front of the seller and we have a reputation to keep. So we decided to initiate the domain transfer at a different registrar and immediately the transfer request email was received from the alternative registrar by the seller of the domain and now the transfer is underway.

Having not heard from Moniker and from the so called VIP service, we decided that it was time to consider moving our business elsewhere. We initiated the domains transfer out request and we were sent all the auth codes for our domains and they are now ready to be transferred out.

11/07/2013 a support response from Moniker 'We have sent the FOA emails. "If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact us. If the issue is resolved please reply OK to close the case.'

Straight after the ticket, the seller received the FOA emails which we have been waiting for all along - clearly something had gone wrong somewhere at Moniker for the emails not to have been sent when requested. No questions asked by Moniker to try and find out if we checked out junk folder or if there were any filters in place.

There was no explanation as to why the emails were not sent, no apology, no concern or investigation, just the reply above that seems to have originated from a robot rather than a human.

What I found rather surprising is that there was no concern about our request for the transfer out, especially when we're talking about a few hundred domains. I imagined we would be contacted by customer support to inquire if there was anything wrong or at least to try find out why we decided to leave - to show some effort to keep our business.

It is sad for a quality company to lose its customers or reputation, I do not enjoy seeing falls from grace, it is sad. We will soon be leaving Moniker for another registrar and I sincerely hope that ours was a unique set of unfortunate events and that others do not face the same or similar situations like we did.

Last edited:

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quite a few cases right here where forum users have given up on Moniker and if you do business with Snapnames there are many unhappy customers there as well.-

- When they realize security and Support are why people went to them and they try to fix it they'll be too late.- They caused their own downfall.

Last edited:

loganflatt

Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As the seller in this transaction, I can assure the buyer he was far too harsh on himself but sufficiently harsh on Moniker.com.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can doubt that a company that needs to send more than 4000 emails an hour does not use a MTA email handler, but if this is a rare instance, they could have gotten 4000+ auth code requests, support ticket responses, newsletters, etc. and your auth code requests got jammed in the mail queue. With an MTA program, it handles that. If it's stuck in the queue, it's stuck and won't budge unless you force it out (which could go unnoticed by many) with many open source mail daemons. I'd wait to see if it was an issue with their mail server... I do agree that their support sucks with a TM issue that I had (needed extra security) and their policies do suck sometimes, but never had a major issue with them like you apparently.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Moniker sucks. I have said this over and over in the past few years. I have there about 5% of the domains I once had.

andre I had a similar issue at around the same time you had yours. I tried to transfer a domain out of moniker. The domain was pending transfer for 8 days (5 days is the max) when I opened a support ticket. They told me that the transfer was pending. (they lied) When I contacted them again on day 10 they said that there was a mistake and they had refused the transfer. They asked me to start again. I did. Domain is still in pending transfer.

Needless to say that I feel bad because I have sold this domain. My buyer is very patient with this but I am not sure for how long...

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wonder which registrar (s) the o.p. took all his domains to and if he's happy so far.-

As their pricing is not competitive at all it's very clear domainers went to Moniker back in the day for the best security in the industry and good Support.- But you can't have good security and poor Support.- They are both needed when domainers have issues and security's got a lot to do with transfers both in and out.- Wish they would realize this.

- -
P.S. - Not that it bothers me much but when I sign in I see a red sign about transfers in progress which I'm always checking on.- They still list transfer-out domains from seventeen months ago.- Some of those I've sold since.- Can't be hard to correct this and I doubt it's only my account having this issue.

airmax

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I avoid Moniker, because they take 7 days to move domains out when transferring out, there should be a 2 level authentication program to make this quicker. When you have a sale, and an end user wants to stick with the Big 3 advertised registars, this can be a real pain, as they really want their domain, and to move on. Moniker does charge the most out of all the registars I currently use for renewals of .com's. I have had support issues in the past year as well, including ghost ticket submission pages erroring out. With the new gtld roll out many people are launching new registars, if Moniiker could infuse some cash, come out with some customer promotions, and up customer service standards, even having someone 24/7 on support one person, really doesn't add much to the bottom line per day. I remember calling support, and waiting 45 mins, only at the end to get a click, and our offices are now closed voicemail, as they couldn't deal with their customer support issues during regular business hours. With so many choices out there, not sure who is running the company, or why they don't get it, but they have a great brand, and are headed into a profitable few years with gtld rollouts.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Op

have you tried to contact DNF member Martij

he is rep for Moniker

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The fact that they are not interfering with a big transfer of the whole portfolio is not a bad thing. I can't stand heavy-handed retention tactics.
And you can retrieve auth codes in bulk, most registrars don't make it that easy.
With register.com moving out one single domain is like passing a polygraph test.
All those technical problems make me think that integration into Oversee was never completed fully and satisfactorily.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I also saw a lady named Samantha from Moniker on here once.- She helped users on a busy thread on Moniker issues awhile back.-

samfrida is her dnf handle.

andre

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Op

have you tried to contact DNF member Martij

he is rep for Moniker

We're not really happy to search forums for representatives of companies to draw their attention to shortcomings in their business practice. They should be monitoring their own business and staff, to ensure that such situations do not arise in the first place.

We have now established relationship with another registrar and have started the transfer process.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We're not really happy to search forums for representatives of companies to draw their attention to shortcomings in their business practice. They should be monitoring their own business and staff, to ensure that such situations do not arise in the first place.

We have now established relationship with another registrar and have started the transfer process.

I agree such entities should monitor problematic issues.

however, seeing as how you found this section of the forum, to post your issue, then wouldn't utilizing the membership or a member who was also a rep of that company to resolve that issue....be a logical option?

still, hope your new registrar provides peace of mind.

Good Luck!

Martij

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
andre

I sincerely apologize for this experience. I would like to do a thorough investigation so that I can pinpoint where the system broke down as well as our robotic response. Would you be willing to email me at [email protected] your account information? Or my direct number is 954 861 3511.

I'd like to have the opportunity to re-gain your confidence in us.

Best Regards,

Marti
Manager Customer Support

I don't usually like to publicly 'shame' anyone - no business or any human being is without imperfections but recently the situation has taken a turn for the worse at Moniker.com and that is why I decided to post this publicly to get the attention of someone, anyone in charge and who still 'bothers'

I represent a company with a very large holding of premium websites and internet services. Our company owns well over 600 domains and all are at Moniker We moved there a few years ago, drawn mainly by their extra security and what seemed like good customer service at the time.

On 2013-10-31 we ordered a transfer in of a domain from another registrar. This was for a domain we won in auction and as always, we like to consolidate our domains in one account at Moniker. 48 hours later and the seller reported that FOA email was not received, so we initiated another request and again it was not received. Seller checked his spam / junk email filters etc... and nothing there, so we suggested he change the email account on his file and we tried again, twice and no email was received. We submitted a VIP support request and also followed it up with a regular support ticket on 11/06/2013 and no response.

We were starting to look bad in front of the seller and we have a reputation to keep. So we decided to initiate the domain transfer at a different registrar and immediately the transfer request email was received from the alternative registrar by the seller of the domain and now the transfer is underway.

Having not heard from Moniker and from the so called VIP service, we decided that it was time to consider moving our business elsewhere. We initiated the domains transfer out request and we were sent all the auth codes for our domains and they are now ready to be transferred out.

11/07/2013 a support response from Moniker 'We have sent the FOA emails. "If you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact us. If the issue is resolved please reply OK to close the case.'

Straight after the ticket, the seller received the FOA emails which we have been waiting for all along - clearly something had gone wrong somewhere at Moniker for the emails not to have been sent when requested. No questions asked by Moniker to try and find out if we checked out junk folder or if there were any filters in place.

There was no explanation as to why the emails were not sent, no apology, no concern or investigation, just the reply above that seems to have originated from a robot rather than a human.

What I found rather surprising is that there was no concern about our request for the transfer out, especially when we're talking about a few hundred domains. I imagined we would be contacted by customer support to inquire if there was anything wrong or at least to try find out why we decided to leave - to show some effort to keep our business.

It is sad for a quality company to lose its customers or reputation, I do not enjoy seeing falls from grace, it is sad. We will soon be leaving Moniker for another registrar and I sincerely hope that ours was a unique set of unfortunate events and that others do not face the same or similar situations like we did.

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what is the most secure and best registrar to keep your most valuable domains these days?

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would say Fabulous.com.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Just do it. There is dozens of threads like this over the last few years/months. Everyone knows their service is poor and clearly they are not changing.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Could others please provide favorite registrars. Pricing is a big concern, but so is service and ease of transfer and ease of registration.

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dynadot.com is my second choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators