Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

webhostingtalk weird side effects...

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just thought I should warn some people...
I logged in to the above mentioned forum after a couple of months, and within a few minutes I got a Windows message (yeah, wasnt using my trusty Mac) saying that 'you need to restart your computer for changes to take effect...

Now what the F**k was that???

Still assesing damage...

any tips?
I guess the server types are good hackers...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you refer to www.webhostingtalk.com I am sure it was no hack. It's a long-time and 'well-known' site with 66,000 Members!

P.S. Edited to change words to 'well-known' since a mod here questions if it is really highly-respected. My view point was of course subjective based on what I know about the sites quality and content, having little to do with the Mods themselves. LOL.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am referring to it.
Can you please then explain the windows XP message after 2 minutes of posting a question AND why my firewall went mad right after then??????????

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
specifically, I got a PM from a preson, I replied to it, and the forum informed me that his box is full.
Right after it all started...
Maybe it is just that user?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I won't use "highly respected" for a site or forum, esp. when WHT has actually changed hands TWICE in the past couple of years, and some of the highly respected mods are no longer there.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
ok....
so how worried should I be?
I tried Norton AV and some spy software removal software...
The fact remains, this has never happened before, and now I am worried.

P.S.
I really don't know who operates this forum although I have been here for almost a year.
(I have an idea, but I get confused by the different mods)
That by itself is a BIG BONUS.
Apparently he/she does it so well, we don't even know them!
That is what I call a class act, and whoever it is should be crowned, because not many (If any) large volume forums operate like this.

If he/she comes to Athens, I'll buy them dinner at the best place there is.
My house of course (assuming it's a she, otherwise, it's a restaurant) :)

EDIT: added PS

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RealNames said:
P.S. Edited to change words to 'well-known' since a mod here questions if it is really highly-respected. My view point was of course subjective based on what I know about the sites quality and content, having little to do with the Mods themselves. LOL.
Hey, I AM a regular there as well, and actually long enough to know a couple of highly respected mods (who have since left). Don't get me wrong, the current mods are still doing a good job; but to be frank, the change of ownership (not to say twice) does have an impact on its operation: philosophy shift and therefore culture and how things are done. And since the owners and moderators are very different than those from say 2 years ago (who brought the forum from like 300 members up to 100 times and more), we are talking about a very different WHT now.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WebHostingTalk is certainly NOT "well respected". I was banned from there for answering questions from other forum users. I have never been banned from any other forum in my life. I've now heard from other domain professionals that this is a common occurrance.

They are a bunch of a-holes, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was banned from there for answering questions

Can I take a guess and say that in those answers you referred to something you have for sale or a website you own?

ToastyX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No problems here, but I use Linux where I don't have to deal with that BS. What you described shouldn't be possible by just visiting a web site.

ReignDomain

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
WebHostingTalk is certainly NOT "well respected". I was banned from there for answering questions from other forum users. I have never been banned from any other forum in my life. I've now heard from other domain professionals that this is a common occurrance.

They are a bunch of a-holes, but hey, that's just my opinion.

I absolutely agree with JuniperPark.
wht is about quantity, not quality.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wht has gone down hill. Its full of hosting resellers trying to get new customers.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
WebHostingTalk is certainly NOT "well respected". I was banned from there for answering questions from other forum users. I have never been banned from any other forum in my life. I've now heard from other domain professionals that this is a common occurrance. They are a bunch of a-holes, but hey, that's just my opinion.

Why were you banned for simply answering questions? Must be more to the story, right?

They must be doing something right to have 66,000 members, often near 1,000 online at a time (more than 700 online a few min ago), and more than 2 million posts!

Arsenik

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never had a problem on wht my self.

This is a guess but maybe you have windows automatic updates enabled? or an other program (firewall?, norton?) automatic update enabled? and after the update it required a restart?

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Arsenik said:
This is a guess but maybe you have windows automatic updates enabled? or an other program (firewall?, norton?) automatic update enabled? and after the update it required a restart?

Sounds a plausible explanation.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
no...
nothing to do with Norton or my firewall...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom