Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

website VS taxes ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Hello, do i need to pay taxes for owning website and making money of it?

thanks

TrafficNames

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
not yet but very soon they put theire hand for internet as well but depends on type of business u running as well

JonR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
moneymatter$ang* said:
Hello, do i need to pay taxes for owning website and making money of it?

thanks

Short answer: YES

It depends on how much are you are making. There is a minimum you must be earning to have to pay taxes (I want to say its $700).

If you are going to go the shady route (not really worth it in the long run IMO) and try to avoid paying taxes, one thing you must consider is your source of income. For example, if you earn money from Google AdSense, google will report your income (they write it off as an expense) and thus you are basically forced to report income on it. If you were making money in the form of individuals sending you paypal payments you may be able to get away with it, as it is basically all undocumented.

There is no statue of limitation when it comes to tax fraud. I have a friend who was doing part time contract work for individuals which he never reported, a good twenty years or so after his last job the IRS fined him heavily.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, research anything you read.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I pay taxes on all my internet and website and domain sales. Period.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
JonR said:
Short answer: YES

It depends on how much are you are making. There is a minimum you must be earning to have to pay taxes (I want to say its $700).

If you are going to go the shady route (not really worth it in the long run IMO) and try to avoid paying taxes, one thing you must consider is your source of income. For example, if you earn money from Google AdSense, google will report your income (they write it off as an expense) and thus you are basically forced to report income on it. If you were making money in the form of individuals sending you paypal payments you may be able to get away with it, as it is basically all undocumented.

There is no statue of limitation when it comes to tax fraud. I have a friend who was doing part time contract work for individuals which he never reported, a good twenty years or so after his last job the IRS fined him heavily.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, research anything you read.

heh, i never have paid taxes before (as never have worked in my life d:)
so how i need to pay ? do i need to register my sites somewhere? :blush:

JonR

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Angelx666 said:
heh, i never have paid taxes before (as never have worked in my life d:)
so how i need to pay ? do i need to register my sites somewhere? :blush:

The IRS typically does not care what your website is. It depends on how much you make. If you are making $xx a month, $xxx a month, or $xxxx a month I would do it differently. But basically, you file it as income. Most likely, you would just file it as personal income.

If you have a tax person, just tell them what you have, and how much you have made from it.

Duncan said:
My dad said something about a "1099" "ten-ninety nine"

I believe that is equivalent to a w-2 except it is more commonly used among temporary employees.

TrafficNames

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
you guys are talking about USA how about in Canada ?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The original poster says he lives in London, and is flying a Lithuanian flag. How anyone presumes to know the tax laws applicable to him is a complete mystery to me.

01wojtowicz

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In china all sites must be registered with the government....thats all i can say to help

dotman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what about money made from affiliate programs?

does tax apply to them?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Of course. One has to declare all income.

BLazeD

Selling
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is all website affiliate/PPC/CPM income whatsoever. You should be able to write off expenses such as server costs etc.

However, if you buy domains to resell them, then you may not have to pay tax on the profits - check if your country has a captial gains tax. Any income from parking them in the meantime would be taxable though, and the act of parking in itself could take you out of the "capital gains" bracket for that domain all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom