Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Website.ws Wins First Prize for Price Gouging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Website.ws, the site run by the managers of Samoa's .WS extension, earn first prize for price gouging above and beyond the call of duty. If you make the mistake of registering a domain there, then decide to sell, you will find yourself hit with a $100 ownership transfer fee (no charge virtually everywhere else) that isn't disclosed anywhere on their site when you register a domain. And that isn't even the worst of it. If you paid $70 for a two-year registration (the minimum they allow) they will also cancel the registration period (with no refund) and make the new owner pay again for something .WS was already paid for! Again, not even any fine print on their site about this predatory practice.

I had heard about the $100 fee before but didn't know about the double whammy on the registration fee until I transferred one there today (and had to refund $70 to the buyer to cover his having to pay for the registration all over again). To avoid this ripoff, if you are going to register a .WS domain, register it somewhere like GoDaddy where it costs about $10 (as opposed to $35 annually at website.ws) and where there are none of the extortionate transfer fees.

oxen

Platinum Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your info - by the way, there is no link at the banner "new name .us" in the front page of your website (dnjournal)

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oxen said:
Thank you for your info - by the way, there is no link at the banner "new name .us" in the front page of your website (dnjournal)

Thank you for alerting me to that oxen. I recently moved the banner and apparently forgot to relink it. I'll go over and fix it.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nominet (co.uk etc) charge a £35/$64.40 to change ownership of a domain but as far as I am aware no "double-whammy" of re-charging.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Though these practices are predatory, I wouldn't object nearly as much if the sites guilty of doing it let registrants know up front before they register, that they are going to be subject to these charges. .WS make no mention of it anywhere on their site and that is just downright dishonest and dispicable. I told them that they should be ashamed of themselves, but people like that have no shame, so I'm sure it didn't register (just as I won't register there anymore).

skylight

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actually, i am hesitating of developing site with .ws

you might not know when will .ws suddenly implement new funny rules to all their resellers and that might affect all the .ws extension since this extension is proprietary.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
skylight said:
actually, i am hesitating of developing site with .ws

you might not know when will .ws suddenly implement new funny rules to all their resellers and that might affect all the .ws extension since this extension is proprietary.

Well, I hadn't thought of that skylight, but when they do unscrupulous things like this, I certainly wouldn't put it past them, especially since .TV has already been known to do it. You register one for $35 and build a site, then the next year they tell you they are reclassifying the domain as a "premium" name and the renewal will be $5,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom