Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What a joke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last night, some Idiot broke down our door, next thing i know he says i am here to collect MR Lee Beumont's Debt of £1800 + £250 extra fees...

I was stunned, Apparently it was my neibour next door. the thing is they had the police and locksmith etc to open our door. now the problem is it was open all night last night... All we got was an appology and they said they will pay for the full cost of replacements.

Anyone think i should take legal actions?
Surely when you break a door down you check the house no....

aidman

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i've had the debt collectors around a few times before due to my neighbours not keeping up their repayments - they come to my house as the house the other side of me is 39b (used to be an empty plot of land, so it was decided they would become 39b lol). Thankfully the debt collectors have always:

a) come at a sociable hour
b) rung the door bell asking for mr so and so

You could take legal actions against the debt collection company... but if its anything like my experience of the legal system its a slow task... i was called up as a witness to a crime which happened almost 2 years ago, and there is still no date set (go figure), personally i'd just get the door sorted out, then visit them in person to make sure their debt is cleared.

Aidman.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they came at 6pm, thats what made me the most angry, all night the door wouldn't shut! someone is here as i type this to fix the door! unbelievable! never expect these things to happen!

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had an apartment about 4 years ago and obviously the person before me had done some bad things ... because 3 bounty hunters showed up... guns drawn... and thought I was the guy, until I prooved otherwise.

they didn't break the door down, but scared the hell out of my wife, girlfriend at the time.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dntalk said:
Last night, some Idiot broke down our door, next thing i know he says i am here to collect MR Lee Beumont's Debt of £1800 + £250 extra fees...
I was stunned, Apparently it was my neibour next door. ...

I'm sure you were "stunned". And, then ANNOYED !!!!

In some parts of the U.S., the uninvited visitor would have been stopped with a couple
ounces of lead. I'm not promoting that idea.

It would have solved a lot of problems if they knocked on the door first. :laugh:

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just having the feeling of powerless makes you feel bad! in uk generally the police / authorities / court goes with the debt collection agencies!

If i was That person i would have had no choice, they would have taken all my pc's / laptops trying to get stuff worth the amount! apparently they had some type of court order to do so!

Doubt i will feel too safe with debt collectors again. Tip. Don't Get into Debt

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think that U.S. debt collectors are allowed to make a forced entry to a home, ever, even if it's the right guy. Of course, they'll probably change that soon, and blame it on 9/11 somehow.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
let alone to someone who wasn't the actual person they were looking for.

They were looking for Lee , my neighbor. Looking for money OR equipment which they think its worth that much. when they came they asked little questions, when i denied i am NOT LEE, they thought i was talking nonsense! i had to show them my passport! then they finally look at my door number 29A ...

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Aren't search or arrest warrents required in the UK? If someone in the US breaks down the door without a warrant, they are 1) trespassing 2) breaking and entering. If they held onto you or prevented you from leaving, it's kidnapping. I'd call the police and have them arrested on the spot. They can explain the 'mistake' in court, where their statements can be used in your civil case against them.

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's possible they were not debt collectors, but undercover officers, and didn't want their cover blown because they were at the wrong house.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No it was debt collectors and they did have the warrent AND uniform police present AND locksmith...

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dntalk said:
No it was debt collectors and they did have the warrent AND uniform police present AND locksmith...

Did the warrant have YOUR address? If not, the warrant is not valid and they are liable for the damage they caused.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They did pay for the damages, they had my door replaced this morning! Else i would have gone Nuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom