Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What are the disadvantages with having a free email adress?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What are the disadvantages with having a free email adress?

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
many.
you might forget to login for a couple of months, and the email provider might make the email address available for others to register.
once they gain control over it, they might(in some cases) request the password from your registrar and...

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
many.
you might forget to login for a couple of months, and the email provider might make the email address available for others to register.
once they gain control over it, they might(in some cases) request the password from your registrar and...

Ok, I don't want that to happen. What are some non free emails that I could use instead?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you own domains, you can get email addresses though them. A domain you are not going to tell, one you use just don't publisize it. Also, use two, one for registrar contact only and the other for WhoIs.

For example, if you have [email protected] as your WhoIs information (for the whole world to see) have something like [email protected] as your registrar contact.

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For example, if you have [email protected] as your WhoIs information (for the whole world to see) have something like [email protected] as your registrar contact.

Ok, I'll check that out.

I have one more question. What is that whois guard that, for instance, godaddy.com wants people to register? Is it worth it?

Warrior

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What is that whois guard that, for instance, godaddy.com wants people to register? Is it worth it?

Privacy protection, If you dont want your contact information appearing in Whois, you can purchase "Domains by Proxy" for $6.99 yearly.

Go to this link and read, If you dont like reading, click on the video with the pretty brunette ;)

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
what link?

krossat

Rohan
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a free one (actually Yahoo Plus account which is paid) which is my name @ yahoo.com. This i keep for all my personal communication.

Than i have one with my domain name where all my passwords / logins go. I thinki its much safer to user your domain based email.

TordB

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you own domains, you can get email addresses though them. A domain you are not going to tell, one you use just don't publisize it. Also, use two, one for registrar contact only and the other for WhoIs.

Okay, so which domain should I use for paypal and which one should I use for subscribing newsletters?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Okay, so which domain should I use for paypal and which one should I use for subscribing newsletters?

Whatever you want.

I have a gmail account I use for just about everything, forum contact, WhoIs information, newsletter, etc.. (it has great spam protection).

But, I also have a seperate email for business contacts (though one of my domains) and an unpublished email address just for a registrar contact.

(This is not including about a dozen or so email addresses that I have for web projects).

But also, everything is only as secure as your email. Make your passwords good. TordB would be a bad password for you but T0rdB (the number 0 instead of a the letter o) would be better, to really throw off potential hackers, put something odd in the middle or someplace unexpected. T0?rdB for example. If they allow internation characters, then try T?0rdß

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom