Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What are the Factors ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Getting this out of the way. What are common factors in appraising the value of any said name domain? I know this factor really varies from person to person or company to company. Looking foward to your responce.

Ryan

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
An excellent topic for discussion. Moved to newbies section.

Vivvy

Wild And Crazy Grrl
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The are some common sense basics...

1. The domain is easy to remember and/or recognizable
2. Extension ... a .com is usually worth more than a .biz for instance
3. Size ... ccc.com will usually be more valuable than CorporateCratingComponents.com. Although that company will probably own the latter, they'd be hot to own the former.

What little bit of dabbling I've done in this over the years has really shown me that appraisal can be a nice tool, (especially once I've found an interested buyer) but it is an exceptionally subjective market. One domain I purchased I was sure was going to make me rich and two years later i'm still sitting on it... another i purchased for actual development, not thinking to turn over the domain, and I received a very nice unsolicited offer that I ran with.

That's why I keep my day job as a site designer, and play the domain market like the stock market. So I'm sure some of the pros here have even more and better information beyond what I listed above. All you got from me was two cents worth. ;)

Good luck!
Vivvy

Leading Names

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Popularity of the term used – sex.whatever more valuable than plugsforbathtubs.whatever
Traffic – where from, how much, how reliable and how valuable?
Language – generally speaking English terms will always be more valuable than the same term in a different language.
Extension – The more popular the extension the more value a name will have e.g. sex.com is worth far more than sex.cc
Extension fit – e.g. shop.com would be worth more than shop.org as the term shop fits well with the commercial nature of the extension.
Length – the shorter the better
Hyphens - none hyphenated are worth more e.g. GolfCart.com would be worth more than Golf-Cart.com
TM / Legal issues - Generally domains with TM / legal issues are worth less.

- Rob

POLiSH

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the insite on this one. I'll be posting our site on the in appraisial Forum . Thanks again.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For me only "how much money it makes"
Really don`t care if it has 30 letters or 5 letters.

Kevin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Excellent information from everyone.

The valuation measure that Stuff is referring to is becoming particularly applicable to parked PPC domains. If PPC revenue is well established and is relatively consistent, a multiplier may be used to come to a valuation.

That is, x number of years (or years/months) of revenue = value of domain

Different people use different multipliers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom