Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

what do you think of Dan.info's ideas on extentions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://domains.dan.info/hall

Dan's Domain Site

Halls of Fame & Shame
Hall of Fame
A salute to the few candles in the darkness, sites that are actually using the domain name system in at least some recognizable semblance of its original intended structure.

Hall of Shame
A look at a few of the more outrageously incorrect uses of the domain name system that are rampant in the Internet world today.

here is the "fame" (I'm not posting the whole pages)

Hall of Fame
I've had a Hall of Shame up for a long time highlighting abuses and misuses of domain names; that's getting distressingly long these days, even though I'm only adding the stuff that I find the most extremely silly. Since finding proper uses of the domain name system are getting comparatively rare these days, I thought I'd add a more positive-toned section listing a few exemplary cases of people, companies, and other organizations doing the right thing. (See my structure notes for more information on the proper use of domain names.)

Cingular Wireless, a cell phone provider, moves from the Hall of Shame to the Hall of Fame due to changes in their method of online bill display. Formerly, they emailed you a notice that a new bill was online, with a link that sent you to an address in bellsouth.com, which forwarded to the cingular.com home page (where you had to try to figure out where to go to actually find your bill...), at which point you had to select your local area (requiring JavaScript), and you ended up on a page in sbc.com. There, you once again needed to figure out which of the many items to select, which turned out to be one that opened up a new browser window that went to a page in cingular.com. A really convoluted procedure, involving pages in three different domains, which gained a place in the "Indecision / Schizophrenia" section of the Hall of Shame. However, they have since greatly simplified things, and get a spot on the Hall of Fame for using the logical subdomain bill.cingular.com.
Google deserves some credit for sensible use of subdomains (despite a few lapses noted in the Hall of Shame). One notable subdomain they're using lately is ipo.google.com for the official site of their much-ballyhooed stock offering. Many or most other companies would probably put such a site in a Stupid Unnecessary Domain Nameâ„¢, but Google used a proper subdomain.
Meetup, a site to let people who share common interests organize meetings around the world, uses subdomains extensively, like harrypotter.meetup.com for Harry Potter fans.

here is the "shame"

Sites In Inappropriate TLDs
All too often, nonprofits turn their noses at their logical place in the namespace, like .org or .org.uk, and go for inappropriate .com domains instead. Less often, but even sillier, commercial outfits use .org domains. This section shines its spotlight on some examples of such idiocy.

The Journal of Theoretics advertises in the International Mensa Journal as "an international nonprofit science journal", but still has its site in a .com address... dumb, dumb, dumb!!! (Once again, "dumb" here is referring to the act of choosing that domain, not the people involved in that publication!)
The Society for the Preservation of English Language and Literature (SPELL) proclaims itself to be "strictly a nonprofit organization," and it is dedicated to resisting abuse and misuse of the English language. It doesn't, however, seem to be taking a similar stand against the abuse and misuse of the domain name system, as it has its site at spellorg.com, a particularly bizarre choice given that the inclusion of "org" shows that they know they want a domain name that indicates that they are an organization.
A case of dumb and dumber... The Xeric Foundation, a nonprofit organization that gives grants to self-publishing alternative cartoonists, uses a .com domain for their site. That's dumb. What's dumber is that, in their ads underneath the URL, they give their email address, which is not an address in their own domain, but in (gag, vomit, retch) aol.com. So they're needlessly advertising that crappy proprietary online service and locking themselves into staying on it, when they could have given themselves a sensible email in their own domain.
The group of firefighters pictured in the famous photograph raising a flag over the World Trade Center Ruins, true heroes, established a nonprofit fund in order, in their own words, to "prevent profiteering from the picture." But even heroes do dumb things sometimes; they set up the fund's Web site at thebravestfund.com, an address that implies the sort of profiteering they're actually against. To be fair, they do own the .org version of that domain as well, but that was registered as an afterthought, months after the .com version, and the inappropriate commercial domain is still the one they cite as their address, as in the Newsweek issue commemorating the anniversary of the September 11th attack.
A Blue Cross / Blue Shield affiliate, Excellus, refers to themselves as "a nonprofit Independent Licensee", but they use a .com address. They earn a "double Hall of Shame" place on my sites, since they're also on the Dan's Web Tips User Agent Page as one of the sites that cluelessly tells users of standards-compliant browsers like Mozilla to "upgrade" to MSIE.
The state of Florida has put its state government site at myflorida.com. This is really stupid... does the state really want people to think of it as a commercial entity? The proper address for the state site is www.state.fl.us, which presently just redirects to that .com abomination. And now they're even putting the .com address on their license plates, in contrast to Pennsylvania, whose licence plates bear the logical .us address of the state site. (This is just one of a whole heap of silly and inconsistent domain names used by various branches of the Florida state government, spread across .com, .org, .gov, and other TLDs. There are a few agencies still using logical .us domains, like the Department of State.)

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I generally agree with him.

I myself got annoyed when my town got a stupid .com name instead of using what is for them a free .us address. Small example of wastefull spending to me (mindset of), since the .com was not even any shorter then the .us would have been.

I also get annoyed at all the throw away domain names for each movie that comes out instead of them using subdomains. Maybe they should make a .movie TLD.

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ohio has www.Ohio.Gov and www.State.OH.us... I like the .gov better for type in, but is it needed?

ohiogovlogo.gif

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
I generally agree with him.

I myself got annoyed when my town got a stupid .com name instead of using what is for them a free .us address. Small example of wastefull spending to me (mindset of), since the .com was not even any shorter then the .us would have been.

I also get annoyed at all the throw away domain names for each movie that comes out instead of them using subdomains. Maybe they should make a .movie TLD.
Stupid .com?

lol, why not get the .com of your towns name?

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
http://stupid.com/ is a nice name!!!

GOT VOMIT?
Just one of the surprising flavors in Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans from Harry Potter!

I hated that Vomit candy!

POPE SOAP
on a ROPE

We're not gonna say much about this product. The more we say, the more hot water we'll get into. And speaking of hot water...

Pope on a Rope features a generic Pope sculpted out of fine, 100% pure (what else?) soap. Coming out of the Pontiff's head is a thick loop of luxurious red rope.

It's very well done and very funny.

We just hope that God has a sense of humor.

Now that is somthing I can use!

VisitFlorida.com sells for $186,000
Written by Martin23

Sunday, 15 August 2004
Visit Florida Inc., the state government's nonprofit tourist marketing agency, has finally secured the online address that bears its name. The price for visitflorida.com was $186,000, reports St. Petersburg Times .

"We saw it partly as a defensive move because this is our brand," said Bud Nocera, chief executive officer of the agency. "We think it will become far more valuable over the next five to 10 years."

... So they have VisitFlordia.com AND MyFlordia.com?

and WHY are those both parked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom