Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What do you use to calculate traffic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenkk

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering what you guys used to calculate traffic on a domain before bidding on it on auction.

I use alexa, and it has proven to be horribly inaccurate in terms of traffic of an domain.

Any other tools you guys use to determine traffic? pay to use suggestions would be great as well

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering what you guys used to calculate traffic on a domain before bidding on it on auction.

I use alexa, and it has proven to be horribly inaccurate in terms of traffic of an domain.

Any other tools you guys use to determine traffic? pay to use suggestions would be great as well

alexa has never been a reliable tool for making domain assesments, imo

but, i use a lot of "common sense" factors that come with domain experience.

after you get your numbers from whatever se or tool source, you'll still have to analyze further.

for instance, i will view the domain and the probability it would get traffic based on...

how close it is to a specific service or general product or general service category

a domain should make sense, in that you have to ask yourself..."why would someone type-in this word, term or phrase".

is the domain in an "emerging market", new technology, a trend, fad or is the category becoming obsolete?

is there development potential, etc, etc

as for paying to use a tool... i haven't seen one that is worthy

one thing to keep in mind is,

that for every or any tool that is used by domainers, the results will be "flawed" by the constant searching of keyword results from "domainer inquires" into that data base.

imo...

Tenkk

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good insight biggedon, appreciate it.

I keep hearing about this tool Domain Watcher pro, but I can't seem to find the exact one on the web. Can someone link me or let me know the company that sells this tool?

ezimedia

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
HI

You need to also check the following..

The age of the domain the older the better.

Type in the keywords/phrase of the domain in to google with and without out " " the more results the better... and the advertisers.. in adwords ads the better...

Only go for .com if you can , but if you can get the .net or .org very cheap close to reg fee cool..

Check the archive history of the domain see what was on it in the past.

Run the domain thru a site like.. valuate.com or estibot to get more stats for the name

there are many other things also to take in to account just read the forum.

adomainstar

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

ascii0101

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well to add to adonainstar' comment ... you can just use dnscoop.com which will give you: alexa + siteexplorer + archive.org == (traffic + yahoo links + how old) as well as calculating the domain value $. Compete.com is another alternative to alexa. The site takes awhile to compute so give it time after you hit submit. IMO this is all good but like biggendon said use common sense factors instead. Those web tools are great to reference but only take that info with a grain of salt. Also, IMHO do not take the domain value $ seriously for any site. A domain name is worth as much as one is willing to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom