Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What does the word "Domain" bring to mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlc

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Just curious. What do you think of when you think of your "domain"?

Your domain name, website, home, office, other?

JC

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum - an interesting question!
To the serious resellers here I guess there is only one answer, a domain name.
Maybe for me my "domain" is that little area of the lounge where my recliner is situated and around which "she who must be obeyed" allows me to have a measure of freedom! :-D

jlc

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. I like it. I think for me a couple come to mind. Home, work, then my domain names that I'm tring to profit from.

Thanks Again for the welcome.

JC

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Investment, development......in some cases (from years ago) 7.95 that could've been better spent on a biggie sized Big Mac combo.
BTW welcome calandrajl.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
an interesting question indeed.
I think the majority here would probably respond domain names (myself included). this being a dn forum and all.
I know that If I ask friends what comes to mind just from the word 'domain'and not domain name, the answer is usually an area of control. Wether it is at home, office,bathroom, or on a larger scale, an empire, and area of interest etc...
On the net however, it looks like it is synonymous with domin names.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Maybe for me my "domain" is that little area of the lounge where my recliner is situated and around which "she who must be obeyed" allows me to have a measure of freedom! :-D

I am impressed with your empire.

I wish I had that "domain".

(Nothing worse than "Domain" envy!) :-D

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
To anyone in networing, it isn't just a name, but a group of networked computers that can communicate with each other (normally a Windows domain). In the latest version of Windows server software, a FQDN (fully qualified domain name) would be a named computer domain using an internet resolvable domain name that is named in intenet DNS.

Digital Address

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And in the latest overture (July), the keyword "domain" (by itself) has finally eclipsed all the others ("domain" registration, "domain" names, etc.) Never seen that before!!

GiantDomains

President
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're asking if when you hear the word "domain", if it still relates to your home, or territory. The answer is yes. Perhaps this would not be the case if I actually owned a good domain name :)

jlc

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Thanks for the welcome.
Sorry for the late reply, I don't have as much time as I would like for dnforum.
Doing more reading here than typing.

I'm glad to see your domain still relates to your home.

I own DomainEssentials.com and right now it's a reseller for wwd, but I see it as more than that. So the more people that think of "domain" as something other than a domain name the better.

JC

NickRac

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think of my home town where I hang out and all of that.

jlc

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wm. M. said:
And in the latest overture (July), the keyword "domain" (by itself) has finally eclipsed all the others ("domain" registration, "domain" names, etc.) Never seen that before!!

Wow!

That is great news for domain resellers!

JC

adoptabledomains said:
To anyone in networing, it isn't just a name, but a group of networked computers that can communicate with each other (normally a Windows domain). In the latest version of Windows server software, a FQDN (fully qualified domain name) would be a named computer domain using an internet resolvable domain name that is named in intenet DNS.

Good thing I'm not in networking. I'd be lost.

JC

NickRac said:
I think of my home town where I hang out and all of that.

Good, so "domain" to you isn't limited to your computer.

JC

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
When I hear "domain" I think of an area that is controlled by a group/person.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you people seriously think of all these areas when you hear the word 'domain'???
I mean, 'us' 'we' people in the business?
My domain is the bathroom, were I can read whatever I want, do what I want, in the way I want to do it, without worrying about invading *any* of the senses of other people, including vision, hearing and smelling... :)
Yet the *first* thought is domain names.
Then again, I (and I am revelealing a great secret here) watch the discovery channel and then run to my computer for the right 'domain', so I guess methods are different for each person.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I first heard of the term "domain" in a more philosophical context (just like many others here have mentioned): yes, the sphere of your control is very often a mental conception than a physical/geograpgical area. Then I came across it as in "policy domain"; and I guess even though domain speculators are using it to refer to domain names on a daily basis, most ordinary people (yes, you are all weird ... or special, LOL!) tend to associate it with something else. Actually it would make a very good domain name using a 2-word combo like whateverdomain.com!

Sub

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about domaindomain.com? That would be a great combo, indeed. :)

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In this (DNF) context, the word 'domain' to me means a parcel of internet real estate. Some domains are out in the boondocks, and some are on 5th Avenue, so to speak. Translated to English, I'm saying it's like a plot of land. Some are in the remote Scottish highlands, and some are on Regent Street.

This analogy relates to both price, value and traffic.

Owzat?

jlc

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
In this (DNF) context, the word 'domain' to me means a parcel of internet real estate. Some domains are out in the boondocks, and some are on 5th Avenue, so to speak. Translated to English, I'm saying it's like a plot of land. Some are in the remote Scottish highlands, and some are on Regent Street.

This analogy relates to both price, value and traffic.

Owzat?

Hi,

So to you what would be some examples of internet real estate that I would find in the boondocks, and what I would find on 5th Avenue? How much would I expect to pay at the different locations?

JC

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's called an "analogy" JC.

Compare for example:

OutInTheBoondocksMilesFromAnywhere.com

with

FifthAvenue.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom