Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What has more value? key1key2.org or key1-key2.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverclick

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's a question which would you rather own, or what has more value in your mind.

keyword1keyword2.org or keyword1-keyword2.com

Ex: used-cars.com or usedcars.org?

I'm actually leaning towards the .org, never really liked hyphens wanted to see what everyone else thinks ...

turtlenet

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
By "value" do you mean resale price, or type-in traffic, or potential to get high search engine ranking for the term "key1 key2"?

I was just about to post a similar thread regarding SEO benefits. I want a keyword domain for a minisite I'm putting together, and the choices are
my-keyword-term.com
mykeywordterm.info
mykeywordterm.biz
(the .net, .com, .org without hyphens are unavailable or too expensive for my purpose)

Would anyone expect a difference in search engine ranking and click thru rate for these domains? I'm not too concerned about resale value or type in traffic, since I don't expect much of either for these options.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Speaking from a development angle only, not for resale:

I would grab the .us if it's available, and maybe the .ca. I can only speak for .us, as I have no presence in Canada, but I find it relatively easy to get ranked at msn/bing/yahoo with .us. I see a lot of talk about .ca as well though, but not sure what it takes to get them ranked. As for the choices you gave, I have had zero luck with .info, never tried with .biz, but had some success with hyphens.

silverclick

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Both.

What has more value from purely a domain point of view and what would be better for SEO purposes?

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's a question which would you rather own, or what has more value in your mind.

keyword1keyword2.org or keyword1-keyword2.com

I'm actually leaning towards the .org, never really liked hyphens wanted to see what everyone else thinks ...

the .org all day long

turtlenet

Level 2
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Speaking from a development angle only, not for resale:

I would grab the .us if it's available, and maybe the .ca...

the .ca is not available, and I don't have any US presence to be eligible for the .us (although I'm not sure how picky the .us registry is about that rule).

I ended up getting both the .info and the hyphenated .com, and I'm going to try a head to head comparison with similar (but unique) content on the two of them.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

In general I like the .org better (just my opinion, no data to back it up). However, in this case I would pick the .com because .org just sounds wrong for used cars sales. It might work if the site was about something like used car safety ratings or consumer information.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the .ca is not available, and I don't have any US presence to be eligible for the .us (although I'm not sure how picky the .us registry is about that rule).

I ended up getting both the .info and the hyphenated .com, and I'm going to try a head to head comparison with similar (but unique) content on the two of them.

---------- Post added at 04:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:16 PM ----------

In general I like the .org better (just my opinion, no data to back it up). However, in this case I would pick the .com because .org just sounds wrong for used cars sales. It might work if the site was about something like used car safety ratings or consumer information.

Nobody would argue that .com is superior to .org.

However, it' s my belief that .org is just under .com, while most will feel that .net takes the #2 position.

In this particular scenario, I would choose the .org for the absence of hyphens. Hyphens, like digits, are an absolute last resort when it comes to getting a good domain name.

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. Hyphens are ugly
2. They just get uglier
3. Even if you are using it just for development, wouldn't you want to make it future proof, just in case you wanted to offload it at a later stage
4. Have you looked for aged domains? As the keyword.com maybe available and there maybe some ready made SEO traffic you can collect
5. What country are you looking to target? You may want to consider the ccTLD for that particular country, both for SEO reasons and resale reasons, if it is a local niche you are targeting

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom