Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What is a NIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FSNet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What exactly is a NIC? I hear this a lot and wanted to know what is it? Thanks!

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Taken from the NotworkSolutions site ( http://www.netsol.com/cgi-bin/glossary/lookup?term=NIC Handle )

A NIC handle is:

A NIC Handle (Contact Handle) is a unique identifier viewable to the public, which can be up to 10 alpha-numeric characters, assigned to each domain name record, contact record, and network record in Network Solutions' domain name database. NIC handles (Contact Handles) should be used on registration forms whenever possible, as they save time and help to ensure accuracy in the records.

Cheers!

-Bob

FSNet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Could a domain name be refered to as a NIC?

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
No - A NIC is different than a domain name.

A NIC is an identifier as who owns the domain name.

Lets say I have the NIC "ABCD1234".

Every name I own, I can assign the NIC "ABCD1234" to it. In that case, all of the information associated with my NIC handle will be displayed in the WHOIS information of the domain name.

-Bob

Originally posted by FSNet
Could a domain name be refered to as a NIC?

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have ipnic.com the actual acroynum internet protcoll something and very few regonize it and i cant sell

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
NIC can refer to three things.

#1. Network Information Center. Refers to any office that handles information on a network. For example, InterNIC itself (www.internic.net). Nominet is the "NIC" for .co.uk domains. If you went to www.nic.ch, you would arrive at "Switch", the NIC for .ch and .li domains.
#2. Network Interface Card. The card in your computer that lets you connect to a network (or the Internet via your cable modem).
#3. Shortened version of "NIC Handle", previously described. This is the least frequent usage I've encountered. It also leads to confusion as a NIC Handle, isn't really a NIC.

Even my favorite glossary: www.whatis.com doesn't contain the first definition of NIC. Ug. But... www.netlingo.com/inframes.cfm

~ W|Z

Who-Wiz

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Interesting... this is a dupe post from another forum.

Pixelman hit it right off. Double-posting, FSNet? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom