Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What is a WordPress static site generator?

Backaffinity

Level 1
Reaction score
Hey guys,
would like to consult with you on Wordpress static site generator.
I've heard it from one of my clients.
Have you tried it? Could you share your experience with me?

Thanks.

Domain summit 2024

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It's to have faster loading times. But you have to generate a new static version each time you modify things, if I'm not mistaken.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's to have faster loading times. But you have to generate a new static version each time you modify things, if I'm not mistaken.
That would make sense.

However, I think that would be negligible if you optimize everything as it should be. The speed and Google Insights (formerly Page Speed) shouldn't dramatically be any different.

It would make sense for a site on shared hosting to do this as they can be slowed down due to others on the same server requiring the power. But, I'd also have caution as the webmaster of the site. Imagine having to update all those static HTML files to, say, change an ad. Definitely try to get it right the first time as your provider wouldn't be too happy if you sucked the CPU power dry regenerating over and over. 😬

But now that this is in question, I'll have to add it to a list of things to do. I'll compare a 5 page WordPress instance vs. its staticly server sister on a fresh CentMinMod installation with 1vCPU. Maybe I'll do that tonight instead of a movie... :p

DomainsGENERAL.com

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think that would be negligible
Well, I don't know how interesting it is to do. Your test could give us some insights into this.
It's probably also more gentle on your server if you start to have a lot of traffic. So, it may be interesting as a scaling option to not have to directly need a more powerful server.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The problem only comes when you have 1000s of pages. You'd probably have to have a planned downtime to generate them in groups if you're on shared hosting, at least on big companies that keep a watchful eye on resources being used.

I've had my account on popular shared hosts disabled for:
1) Abusing CPU and taking too much, forcing me to upgrade or get on a VPS;
2) Sending out a mailing list too quickly;
3) Using too much bandwidth at once, but not exceeding my quota.

Shared hosting can be a headache so I'm sure there'd be problems if you're aggressively started generating caches, to include different image types that would be served depending on the user's browser/speed/preference (I.e. serving a .webp instead of the rightfully compressed .jpg).

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't know how interesting it is to do.
They're just little fun exercises to keep sharp. And, if I can share the results, it could help others decide what they should do and how to do it. 😇

I'll probably document the process in a single thread and step by step. It takes a good 2 hours alone to install CMM on such a "slow" instance. That's all I'll probably get through for the night. That, and generating the two domains that will be used.

I'm unsure if I'll save each file myself and then edit the HTML files or do it automatically. But I know I have to do rewrites to have /about-us fetch about-us.html instead (but not show the extension for prettiness)... just thinking aloud.

accurate

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by this? A WP Page Builder?

Hey guys,
would like to consult with you on Wordpress static site generator.
I've heard it from one of my clients.
Have you tried it? Could you share your experience with me?

Thanks.

Reaction score
A WordPress static site generator is a tool that creates a static HTML website from a WordPress site's dynamic content. This allows for faster page load times, improved security, and better scalability as the content is served from a static file rather than generated dynamically by a server. Some popular static site generators for WordPress include Gatsby, Jekyll, and Hugo.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators