Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What is/are domain development criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marlu

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few new, as in just registered with no history, generic domain names like runoutof.com and getalongwith.com. These few domains have an exact global monthly search exceeding 1500. Are domain names with exact global monthly searches > 1000 an indicator that these domains should be developed or flipped. I am an absolute newbie to domaining and and would like to know what to do with these domains.

Also, in general, is there a criteria to determine if a new domain is worth flipping immediately or developing first?

Many thanks for you suggestions.

Luay

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
enter those terms into google or bing or yahoo. If there are a bunch of advertisers on the sides your fine. If none or only a few you have a problem.

marlu

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok, so if there are ads then it is good for development. If there are no ads then it is good for flipping?

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If there are no ads you will still have a hard time flipping. For a domain to be valuable it absolutely has to have development potential (or I guess sentimental value). If there isn't development potential then there aren't any potential end users. You also can't just hand register a name and then sell it for more.

I just quickly peaked at your portfolio and I would recommend you try to get a refund for all of the names. Do some research, learn a little about domains and development then give it a second shot.

marlu

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If there are no ads you will still have a hard time flipping. For a domain to be valuable it absolutely has to have development potential (or I guess sentimental value). If there isn't development potential then there aren't any potential end users. You also can't just hand register a name and then sell it for more.

I just quickly peaked at your portfolio and I would recommend you try to get a refund for all of the names. Do some research, learn a little about domains and development then give it a second shot.

@Almost: Thanks for the advice.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No problem Marlu. Don't get discouraged.. you've learned a valuable lesson early which will end up saving you tons of money in the long run. The problem is most wanna be domainers don't ever learn. They just continue throwing money at crap domains to prove to themselves they were right. The biggest battle in this business is getting rid of your ego.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a few new, as in just registered with no history, generic domain names like runoutof.com and getalongwith.com. These few domains have an exact global monthly search exceeding 1500. Are domain names with exact global monthly searches > 1000 an indicator that these domains should be developed or flipped. I am an absolute newbie to domaining and and would like to know what to do with these domains.

Also, in general, is there a criteria to determine if a new domain is worth flipping immediately or developing first?

Many thanks for you suggestions.

Luay

if you want to develop a domain, then only real criteria is your passion for and knowledge of, the topic

the motivation to get the project off the ground.

all the other stuff like number of ads that show in Google, gkwt numbers, really aren't applicable unless you have concerns about competition and or commercializing your website.

but you should be clear about why you're buying a domain and what your plans are for it, before you purchase.

The biggest battle in this business is getting rid of your ego.

hah! :)

ego's do run rampant sometimes

but if you can put it aside, to consider other members ideas and opinions... you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom