Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What is the legality of adding "the"

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXTDryFly

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is it illegal to add "the" in front of a domain to make it yours? I have a business that i'm wanting to make a website for, but the name is taken. Can I put "the" infront of it so i can use it?

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Depends on if the name is trademarked. If it's a generic term than "the" doesn't make a difference.

gafadi

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yeah as theinvestor said , it depends on the name , like youtube.com if you make theyoutube.com its not good because Youtube is trademarked ,

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
TM has nothing to do with this question.
It's in the domain usage.

I highly doubt this.

flamewalker

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a lot of weight to usage. IMO stay away from TM's and find a unique name for yourself...but if you insist... if the taken names (.com/net/org etc) are for... say, candles, and you use it for books... you might be ok. It won't stop them necessarily from trying though so my advice would be to come up with a unique name :)

EnricoSchaefer

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The advice above is solid. If there are common law or registered trademark rights in the words used in the domain, adding 'the' accomplishes nothing. You will have a potential ACPA or UDRP issue under trademark law.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom