Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale What is the real value of an average three letter .ca domain name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Many three-letter domains have gone to TBR in recent months. Since many of these belong to domain parkers, such as one of us here who has at least 2100 three-letter domains alone, it would seem that a good number of them do not even earn enough parking income to be worth keeping.

What is you take on the value of all three-letter .ca domains? Would you register any simply to have them, or would you value them just like any other domain?

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Apart from those with strong acronym meaning I would not bother to buy one personally, unless it was cheap off a drop but I suspect spending that $40 at swiss chalet a better use lol

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think they definetly have worth, and can fetch significant money from end users.

I would rather buy a 3 letter off a drop than buy an average generic from someone on the forum...ie some domaniers try to peddle their generic to every possible end user, and upon failing, come here to sell their domains.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
some domaniers try to peddle their generic to every possible end user, and upon failing, come here to sell their domains.

What makes you think someone doesnt do the same with a LLL ? The only thing that would stop that is the limitation on finding end users for a random LLL in turn debunking the statement that you made "I think they definetly have worth, and can fetch significant money from end users." from who, where is the end user for fww.ca and if one existed its just that ONE and whos to say they pay big money?

I would take a generic 1000 times over any random LLL because that may be the better chances of reaching a serious end user one day and certainly easier to resale to resellers.

Of the 30 or so reported LLL.ca sales of $1k or more only about 15 are true randoms, they range between $1k (90%) and some $2k to 1 at $4k. There is one freak sale of 5 figures. So from what we know of the possible thousands of combo's a little more than a dozen are sold at $1K or more. WOW get me on that train.... or let me stop by 7-11 and buy some tickets either way odds are the same.

My advice, instead of buying several LLL buy one good generic, flip and so on... its not easy but its better than buying lottery tickets you have to renew each year.

Last edited:

Wzhxvy

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I said from the drop, and the limitation you mention is a positive in my mind and proves my point.

I dont know what fww is worth...but your argument applies to generics as well...the fact that there is an end user does not mean its worth something.

My point is very simple, would rather buy an asset that has not been sold and marketed to death to every possble end user, vs. one that appears to have worth but in reality has been sucked dry and is worthless from an end user perspective because none of the potential, known end users, had any interest in paying serious money for it.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While having more end users is not an automatic for better sale price in the end it is certainly the better speculation which is what we do, speculate.

Your end point is you rather own a name that virtually no one exists for because it had less chance of being offered before to them...so your speculation takes on an element of the supernatural as to what acronyms will be desired by a yet to be formed company?

I fully undersatand not wanting a name that has been shopped, who would but it isnt in your control and should be something you ask of the seller, a lot of what we do is based on trust and I trust the best chance of selling a name to an end user comes in the form of a generic not an acronym, it isnt just my opinion but a fact backed by the internet and reported sales. The true enduser market for acronyms in ALL extensions could never compare to the generics, never.

Furthermore there is a reason ALL acronym sales have dropped off in volume and price, most down 50-75% reseller, LLL LL Ln NL all have taken hits, all extension. Generics to have fallen but not like acronyms and the main reason is savy buyers realize acronyms are an even bigger spec than a generic with virtually no revenue/parking upside in the meantime.

Last edited:

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Furthermore there is a reason ALL acronym sales have dropped off in volume and price, most down 50-75% reseller, LLL LL Ln NL all have taken hits, all extension. Generics to have fallen but not like acronyms and the main reason is savy buyers realize acronyms are an even bigger spec than a generic with virtually no revenue/parking upside in the meantime.

I need to make a new, lower offer now to someone for a LN domain <cough, cough>.;)

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think 3 letters are great. I recently sold one for 8.4k that I bought here for $100 last year. When I bought it, it didn't have too many possible end users but if you look once in a while on Google you will find end users. I think they are more of a long term investment but with possible great return. I doubt every one of my 3 letter will bring me good money but some will and that's what matters. You shouldn't expect companies to contact you, you have to contact them.

If you want a 3 letter for a buck or two check pennyauction.ca. I will start posting 3 letters few times per week starting this Wedneday. Check my signature for more info.

D.

Belzibut

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very simple, from time to time just check it out on Google on the first 10 pages. If you find nothing, be patient. The last 3 letter I sold for high 4 figure wasn't showing for anything when I bought here for $100 and suddenly something came up. Some companies might be using a 3 words domain and will show up on google for the acronym, those are perfect companies to approach. I also find it useful to check on the online yellow pages as many companies still don't have a Website but are definitely thinking about it.

3 letter companies are often partnership companies, like 3 partners meaning they have are at least 3 to pay for the domain. In successful marketing there a few simple rules, and a short name is way up there.

Check my sign to get a cheap 3 letter on Sunday.

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom