Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What is the success rate at GoDaddy Domain Auctions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeavingThoughts

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am a Domain Flipping newbie.

I have a question in my mind. If for instance 1000 domains are listed at Godaddy 7 Day Domain Auction ,or x number, whatever that is. As a market average, how many domains are likely to be converted to successful sales per 1000 auctions?

I basically want to know what is the success rate of an auction being converted to a sale as a market average.

I don't want to get into intricate details of bids, offers, prices, quality etc, I just want to know a market average of a success rate, something which is the average across the Godaddy market place. Just for my reference and to understand auctions better.

Do most (like 70%+) domain auctions convert within the first 7 day auction sale or is it more like sub 1% or how does it work?

Anybody who can help is requested to help :) I would really appreciate it!

Aakshey

WeavingThoughts

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1,000 domains and they are all craps - success rate = 0
1,000 domains and they are all good - success rate = 95.456322212

That is a little different than what I wanted to know :)

My question is:

If X (X can be any number, 1000 or 1 million or whatever) are listed as of today on Godaddy 7 Days Auctions.

If we keep past experience/history and the fact that the pool of X domains will have both good/bad domains, what is the market average for a sale?

If for example, there are presently 10 millions domains listed at TDNAM 7 Days Auction, then at the end of 7 days, according to past experiences/history, what is the likely number that would end up being sold? And according to a market average in light of past history, what is the number that is expected to remain unsold at the end of 7 days?

The reason I ask this is because:
I see that there are 100ks/millions of domains listed on Godaddy Auctions, despite that less than 1000 domains have a single bid or more. Even for domains which have less than an hour left for the auction to end, there are less than 1% or 0.1% of the domains which have a single bid.

So do the remaining 99.9%+ domains never get sold in one particular (this particular for instance) auction, or do the bidders magically enter in the last 5-10 minutes? Because I did see that most domains with 30-50+ minutes left still had any bidder at all. Very few domains had any bid at all.

WeavingThoughts

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The success rate does not represent anything.
It depends on the quality of the names at the time of the auction.

But there must be a range. If a million domains are sold daily or even 100k domains or whatever that large number is, there must be some pattern and range.

Let us take an average for 100 days for example.

Do only 1% of domains get sold? Do 10-30% domains get sold? Do 90%+ domains get sold? Any kind of range? Any kind of pattern or average?

Do Home Page Features help a lot? Are they really worth an extra 20 bucks when the reserve price of my domain is around $200 or so if sold?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I gave up because the number/range that you are asking for mean nothing to me so who would care?

i feel ya

sometimes newbies look for stats or averages, that have no relevance whatsoever ...to the domain names they actually own.

because in the end, everything depends on the specific name being sold.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You've answered your own question.
There are plenty of domains (millions) listed and even the good names can slip through the cracks.
But the market cannot absorb all the supply of domains for sale.
Most domains are crap so they will drop/not sell. Maybe 1% of the supply is any good and I'm being generous. Of that 1% few will sell within a short time frame.
Liquidity in domains is low. The odds of making a sale are higher when
  1. you have a quality domain
  2. an end user is looking for your domain in particular
The average stats mean nothing because they are very low. If you have quality domains that are priced right the odds of making a sale will be much higher. In other words, you don't want to be in the average.

The answer to your question:
success rate: negligible

WeavingThoughts

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You've answered your own question.
There are plenty of domains (millions) listed and even the good names can slip through the cracks.
But the market cannot absorb all the supply of domains for sale.
Most domains are crap so they will drop/not sell. Maybe 1% of the supply is any good and I'm being generous. Of that 1% few will sell within a short time frame.
Liquidity in domains is low. The odds of making a sale are higher when
  1. you have a quality domain
  2. an end user is looking for your domain in particular
The average stats mean nothing because they are very low. If you have quality domains that are priced right the odds of making a sale will be much higher. In other words, you don't want to be in the average.

The answer to your question:
success rate: negligible

This answers my question, thanks! :)

Although the answer isn't that encouraging :(

Anyway :p

Is it recommended to only sell via these websites and afternic.com etc? Or should one go for individual clients/websites with similar names or similar interests? Is that worth pursuing?

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Amazing!

Actually Katherine answer is very much like my answer but she stretchs from 2 feet to two miles and you like her answer.

My final answer to you is: The more you listed the better chance you may have a sale.
No one would know where and when it may happen except Ms. Cleo!!!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
But there must be a range.
Do your own spread sheet and set it up for the seven days from start to finish over the 7 day period. Its just a sampling but there should be close to perhaps 50,000 listed (all extensions).

Setting up such a sampling would only give you that - a sampling of names for that particular time. My guess is the number is quite small, perhaps 1% or less actually sell.

There may be something on TDnam showing number ending vs. number with bids.

Overall, I agree with Johnn...who would care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom