Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What is the true meaning OF spam

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjp

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this entire internet thing.. I have been selling domains for 3 months and still wet behing the ears.
Dn forum is great and I enjoy coming here.

What is the true meaning of SPAM.. I got a email today from someone telling me not to spam on dnforum.. All I am doing is posting my responce to stuff and selling names under the appropriate catagory....

I dont want to spam, so if someone could teach me on this subject, I would appreciate it.

Thanks

sjp

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you

So let me get this straight...If I send a domain to you without you giving me permission, this is consider spam.?

What is the use of email... Lets say you own churchtime.com and I email you and ask you if you would be interested in church.com... That is consider spam?

They need to invent a lock on emails. That way you can only accept the emails from family.. I guess I need to start getting upset and lock my self from the outside world..

I always thought that was just being nice and saying Hey I am selling this are you interested.. IF not oh well it is over,,, What is so wrong with that.. Have people really tore the internet up this much?

Thanks
shawn

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think if your offering something that you know for a fact that they might be interested in, then I think its ok to send a email. But one is enough. Sending more then one without them responding would be considered spam.

For example, if your selling "games.com". You might contact "Nintendo" and suggest to them that it would be beneficial for them to own this domain name.

RMF

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Like RMF said, it is alright to send **ONE** email if an offer to purchase was solicited. However, sending multiple emails over several days is, in my opinoin, unacceptable. I look forward to what people have to offer, but I do NOT want to see it every day, three times per day for a week.

Rest assured, if you have anything that the person has an interest in, they WILL get in touch with you.

Good Luck!

-Bob

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
BTW - "SPAM" is the common term for "UCE". UCE stands for "Unsolicited Commercial Email". In other words, if you did not ask for it, technically, the email is SPAM / UCE.

-Bob

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One thing I did recently that I wouldnt' consider spam.

I sent out a email to about 6 businesses that I felt would benefit owning one my domains which is a .net. I registered it several months ago and no longer have any use for it. I got a reply back from one of them, who happens to have the .com. They are now buying it from me. Nobody considered my email to be spam. Of course, writing a nice email can't hurt.

RMF

sjp

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much.. This is all helping me...

I guess it all boils down to how the person is.. They could think everything is spam and shout spam, Right?

I am learning this, but I think spam is over rated.. Anyone Agree????

Thanks
shawn

Ciqala

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*TIP OF THE DAY*
When sending an email to your forum users (600+) through your forum admin interface dont accidentally click the button a 'few' times... and then when you realise you mistake hit the back button

you get a lot of irate emails with lots of 4-letter words only a few of which being SPAM :D

Ciq

S

Silverwire

What makes a plant a weed? The first definition of "weed" in dictionary.com:
A plant considered undesirable, unattractive, or troublesome, especially one growing where it is not wanted, as in a garden.
So, if you are a grower of dandelions, then they are not weeds. But if one is coming up in the middle of your lawn, chances are you will think it is.

Your e-mail is a weed if you send to a mass distribution list of greenhouses in an attempt to sell your dandelion seeds. But if you send personal notes to the few you know specialize in growing dandelions, there may be a warmer reception.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by sjp
What is the true meaning OF spam

It is a pinkish luncheon meat--pre cooked and pre formed--packed in a square metal container--manufactured and distributed by Hormel--sold thru your local grocer--and also available worldwide at quality food stores everywhere.
:D :razz: :D

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mmm, isn't spam so good!.. How could Spam be sooo goood, but also be so baaaad.. :confused:

Hmm, I wonder if that company has been affected by the negative response on the term "spam"...

RMF

Hormel has a page about "SPAM" and "spam" on their website. It's pretty cute.

Did you know that more spam is eaten in Hawaii per capita than anywhere else on earth? It's a hold over from World War II provisioning. You can even buy spam in 5 star restaurants!

-t

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Witt--I saw a show on TheHistoryChannel that talked all about that. Those Hawaiians eat SPAM in everything--prepared in every way imaginable. They can't get enough of the stuff.

Yes--TheHistoryChannel Rocks! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom