Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What Makes A "good" Nnnn.com Or Nnnnn.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul vt102

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see a thread that offers "Nice Nnnnn.com"s. What makes such domain names desirable?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
any category that is in demand, will be desirable

demand, typically is a result of rarity, of a specific category of domains.
ie: once all the nnn/lll .com/net and org are registered, then those who want (desire to have one)them, must pay premium price, higher that what the owners' original cost was, to acquire them.

for further details, please READ, thru "domains for sale and domains wanted threads", going back to 2003

imo...

Paul vt102

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I see some people looking for Nnnn.com and Nnnnn.com but I don't know why any end user would want the vast majority of them. I've never seen an actual website announcing their URL as something like 65399.com.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Paul vt102

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link! I have also seen other threads connecting numbered .com domains to demand in China. Can anyone explain why Chinese users would want to use a sequence of five numbers instead of a Chinese IDN? Is it still difficult to enter Chinese characters into a web browser?

Years ago I was surprised to see .com domain names advertised in China. By now I would have thought .com use would have declined. Why is there demand for .com instead of .cn or the other more neutral TLDs.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
too many why's, for you to really be concerned with.

because it's something "you" can't control.

why do chinese do this, instead of that?

cuz they can, it's that simple.

they have the money and now they are spending it.

so, who cares why, as long as they continue to buy.

either you are going to get in, or sit on side-lines asking what motivates one to do what they do.

you feel me?

imo...

Paul vt102

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have found asking questions to be very helpful.

Paul vt102

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The New Republic has an article on Chinese URLs. I covers several points with examples. It only fails to explain why .com is still popular.
"Why don’t Chinese web addresses just use Mandarin characters? Because that’s a pain, too. The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN), which sets the rules for web addresses globally, has periodically hyped the expansion of domain names to include non-Latinate scripts, but Chinese web sites have yet to take full advantage. Some devices require a special plug-in to type in Chinese URLs, and even then it takes longer to type or write out characters than to input a few digits. Plus, for web sites that want to expand internationally but don’t want to alienate foreign audiences with unfamiliar characters, numbers are a decent compromise."

The Secret Messages Inside Chinese URLs
http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117608/chinese-number-websites-secret-meaning-urls

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom