Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What % of Google Searches Would you guess don't use " " (exact phrase)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peachesbackwards

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I was kind of shocked in a positive way that 2 of my ecommerce sites
are ranked #2 & 3 with a 2 word combination that has 500,000 & 600,000 hits using the two words in exact quotation search "key word" but still hold their
#2 & 3 position when the same 2 words are listed by themselves but not with quotations/exact phrase & have 1.5 billion & 92 million hits.

My question is what % of people do you guess use exact searches on Google & is the 1.5 billion & 92 million a selling point if I want to sell the websites when I mention my Google Ranking or not? As both sites are less then a few weeks old, I'd be selling them on the basis of potential. What do you think?

Peachesbackwards

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
So your saying that most people don't use exact word searches on Google? How come people here seem to use exact " " hits as their selling points rather then just word combination?

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How come people here seem to use exact " " hits as their selling points rather then just word combination?

Because it shows the popularity of the exatch match phrase on the internet. Doing a search without the quotes can show results which are not related to the keyword.

gawnd

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i'd say 99 percent of searches are done without quotes

acesfull

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would agree that most people don't use quotes, but I would think at least 5% do use quotes - still a small percentage.

I thought it would be a good idea if Google put a "two-radio-button" choice next to the search box for "ALL MATCHES" or "EXACT MATCHES." (May be a good idea for people searching, but may be a bad idea to Google for their advertising-revenue, as it may limit results of paying advertisers?)

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd agree, the majority don't use quotes (mainly because most people don't know about quotes).

I think in a forum like this, though, more people would use quotes (mainly because we know how to use it).

For me it depends on what I am looking for.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you use quotes or not. The exact phrase, as if you were typing it in quotes will always rank higher than random words from that string within a block of copy. So your numbers within quotes over the total numbers is a quotient that signifies the importance of the phrase. The higher the number, the better.

Peachesbackwards

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Can you explain that better, nothing personal, I don't understand what you're saying.
In the example I used in my original post, assume the domain was KeyWord.COM
If I put in "Key Word" I get x amount of Google Hits and if I put those 2 words exactly the same with nothing before or after them, I get x more hits.

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't think many people use quotes in searches. Sometimes it is necessary to use quotes if you only want the exact phrase instead of random results. Anyone who knows how to use a search engine uses quotes sometimes, also the + sign and the [] sign is used.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Can you explain that better, nothing personal, I don't understand what you're saying.
In the example I used in my original post, assume the domain was KeyWord.COM
If I put in "Key Word" I get x amount of Google Hits and if I put those 2 words exactly the same with nothing before or after them, I get x more hits.

If you search for "bob goes fishing" in Google you get 254 results.
Search without quotes and you get 227,000 results.
But in both searches, the same top result contains "bob goes fishing" - as if you were to search with quotes.

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I say if you have some technical background, you will know when to use quote for exact match. Seriously the result is very different with and without quote.

Peachesbackwards

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If more people use the Search engines without the exact phrase search, why do people here then seem to rely on the exact phrase when determining value at least for domains with two words in them?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
If more people use the Search engines without the exact phrase search, why do people here then seem to rely on the exact phrase when determining value at least for domains with two words in them?

Because a lot of people misquote the results e.g. RandomPiesSlice.com (random pies slice) - produces 69,000 results without quotes. WOW...(yeah right).
But without quotes there are zero results :D

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

People use quotes to determine value for a domain based on the popularity of the word or phrase. This has nothing to do search engine users.

I use quotes for single words also as there can be a difference in results without quotes.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i search with quotes for an exact keyword and profound results,

but i don't think average joes would use as they don't think they can use quotes

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the quotes tell you how popular a two (or more) word phrase is, to give you an idea of how commonly it's used by people. If you get a high result for two words in the exact order, it tells you it's highly used.

for example, google searches below

idol american: 1.78 million results

"idol american": 0.2 million results

american idol: 26.9 million results

"american idol": 26.5 million results

this tells me that the proper order for these two words is - american idol - , and that it's a popular phrase.

it helps me with non-english languages or new terms I've never heard, to get an idea of the popularity.

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'll assume except for domainers and other researchers most other people don't use inverted commas.

But when buying a domain or checking the potential of one I'm more than liable (99.999%) to use quotes to determine the exact number of "key word" results.

hugegrowth's example above is a fab one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom