Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What SEDO do against scammers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I won a SEDO auction +5 weeks ago that I paid the same day.
At this time the domain seller still not provided you the info to can transfer the domain, and worst he put his domain under privacy.

Thanks to DomainTools.com I was able to identify the scammer:

=== HIDE FOR PRIVACY ===

Which I contacted myself and as you may imagine did not respond.

Questions:

- What is the minimum time needed by SEDO to understand a fraudulent domain sale has been done by a scammer using your service?

- When SEDO is planning to fully refund me the thousand dollars I paid to purchase the domain?

- Can I expect some sort of compensation?

- What is SEDO politic agaisnt this type of scammers:
Can they continue having domain for sale at SEDO, can they continue to put auctions in SEDO, ...?

Please let me know as I think I am not alone that want to know the response.

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for your second question, SEDO usually bans people who do not go through with a sale

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am asking clarification to SEDO, I hope they will respond.
The above referenced person just contacted me saying is not the owner of the domain as the DomainTools.com history WHOIS outlines.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It sounds like a case of sellers remorse...

Contact Sedo and I'm sure they will refund this no problem.

S

SedoCoUk

Hello All,

Sedo does not tolerate "scammers" and a customer who is found to be acting in a fraudulent manner will be banned from using Sedo and all of our services.

If indeed the person who listed the domain is not the owner, we will of course refund your payment.

Without knowing the specific domain you are referring to, I cannot be certain as to whether this guy is a "scammer". Occasionally we get people listing domains they don't own because of a genuine mistake (they may have sold it elsewhere, let it expire, typed in the wrong name etc.) These will often be picked up by our whois check, but can sometimes slip through.

I understand this is frustrating, but I would argue that in instances like this with Sedo, at least you know you will not lose the money also. The seller cannot get paid if he does not transfer the domain to you.

Cheers,

Tom

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The domain is clasificados.mobi

Let me know if the above referenced whois match the identity of the person that put the domain at auction or he's Daniel Rimas how this person is now claiming.

Also Tom, please do not forget to respond to the questions you still not responded:

- What is the minimum time needed by SEDO to understand a fraudulent domain sale has been done by a scammer using your service?

- When SEDO is planning to fully refund me the thousand dollars I paid to purchase the domain?

- Can I expect some sort of compensation?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I always laugh when people use DNF to contact customer support from another web site, first.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RaiderGirl,

Don't push me because it's not my usual practice, I allways contact directly before complaint.
Except preformatted email responses I never got another response from SEDO regarding this issue.
This is why I put this affair public, to see if this push them to be serious and act.

Unfortunately it look likes there is no change:
Yesterday they responded again to my emails through the same kind of ilogical preformatted responses.
They do what they want, respond to questions partially...

Check yourself how Tom for example did not respond to the serie of questions I asked.
He just did a generic response to one of the questions.
He played the idiot asking me about the domain we are talking about when I PM him the details previously.
But well I played the game myself and given him the domain again as if it was the first time.

We are not more advanced today we were 2 days ago.
And regarding my specific case, there is no change!

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
for your second question, SEDO usually bans people who do not go through with a sale

if they are a good customer ie. parking or have bought & sold before...
i believe at worst they temp ban

VioxxLawyers

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because once having owned the auction and after having fully paid for the domain name I was legaly the owner.
I did not think I was victim of a scammer and that the domain will never be transfered to me.

S

SedoCoUk

Hello all,

Francois - you did indeed send me the domain name in the PM - i just missed it and for that I apologize.

I have canceled this transfer and your payment will be refunded.

With regards to the other points you raised. I do not think it is appropriate to discuss individual domain transfers on a public forum, hence the general answer earlier. I am more than happy to discuss specific transactions by PM or email.

Best regards,

Tom

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Francois has taken my place in the Sedo sub-forum and he's doing a great job thus far :D

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I cannot beleive it!

What I wanted was the domain, I won the auction and I paid for it.
I was pushing you in order you obligate the buyer to respect the sale.
Cancel the sale annd be refunded was the last expected option.

I located the buyer through WHOIS history and asked you if he was the good one or no.
He is claiming that no, but all let me think that is the good one, even his Google cached page.
You did not respond, so there is allways the doubt!

The way you are acting just outlines that if one publicly complaints then you pay to stop the bad buzz, that's all.
And if one don't do nothing you may wait 2 months, 3 months, ... with our money.

By the way some of the unanswered questions was not specific to my own case and I am sure everyone will be happy to learn:

- Can one expect some sort of compensation in that case?
In my case it was just 1,500 Euros for 5 weeks but imagine having +100K blocked during 1 month, 3 months ... in YOUR own bank account.
Look likes that no but do you confirm?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I understand the frustration, Francois. Personally, I drown it down in red wine; perhaps some Château Margaux will do the trick?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You two must have the same sedo gene.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am very upset.

The scammer must be laughing of SEDO and laughing of me.

The way you act, it's the open door to more and more scams!

Dr Nump

Call me Doc !
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am very upset.

The scammer must be laughing of SEDO and laughing of me.

The way you act, it's the open door to more and more scams!

Relax Frank , the scammer doesnt laugh at all because he received nothing but waste his own time. Sedo themselves cant validate ownership of any domains that submitted for sales in their system (7 millions so far!) , all they can do is protecting buyer from losing money.
And they do quite well.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
RaiderGirl, Don't push me because it's not my usual practice, I allways contact directly before complaint.

My intention is not to push you Francois, personally I have nothing against you. And if I remember right, you made the same "laughable" comment about something I wrote on a business startup thread.

At any rate, from reading what Tom wrote, it appears you used the Forum's PM's and this thread as a means to contact them, if I'm wrong please correct me. I simple feel that you should try to work out the problem with the provider via there web site before bringing it to the forum, this includes CALLING them on the phone if necessary.

I did the same thing with Moniker once, I felt there was some deception on there part and I completely lost it in a thread, by doing this it cost us dearly and my Husband had to clean up the mess I made, I would be very surprised if any of our domains are accepted to there upcoming NY auction, and if I ever attended a Traffic Auction, how would I face them?

For every domain service that is out there, we can all find fault, there is not one service I use that does not have it problems. if contacting them by email or telephone does not solve your problem, by all means post it and let us know about it, but give them the benefit of the doubt first....I think its only fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom