Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What the #%@%? Ethical behavior by a bunch of LAWYERS?!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I really try to avoid TM issues with my domain name purchases, but on occasion one slips by with 12,000 domains under my control. I received ZERO C&D notices in 2006... pretty good!

Monday of this week, the mailman knocks on my door and has me sign the green slips for a law firm I've never heard of... you know what that means. It's for a domain containing the word "Java", and Sun Microsystems is upset. I do some checking online and the a TM on a very simiilar domain phrase does exist, but by a totally different company. I pull up the page to see what ads Adsense is serving -- and see nothing related to EITHER of those companies.

Within the hour, I get an purchase order for Nolo.info, and I immediately accept because they matched my asking price. Then I notice the email address of the buyer is Nolo.com... Wait, I've bought their self-help books, they're a bunch of lawyers that publish books about things like protecting trademarks! Uh Oh...

I do some checking... Nolo is not a word in any other language, as I thought. crap. I check the TM... they have a USPTO reg'd TM on "Nolo". DOUBLE CRAP! I look at what Adsense is serving on the domain... competitive ads to the Nolo company... TRIPLE CRAP! I AM SCREWED!

Now I'm sure I've been set up for a UDRP. I peer through the peephole for the mailman with his green "RSVP for a Lawsuit" forms... all's quiet. That's odd.

Then, today, 3 days later... FULL PAYMENT.

I have to say that I am REALLY impressed that they didn't just bend me over and have their way with me. I'll certainly remember them when I see their books in the store or online, and I would encourage the rest of you to deal with ETHICAL companies like this.

Nolo.com, thank you!

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great story. It's always good when things work out.
Not all lawyers are slime. [flamesuit on]

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that you are out of the woods?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How about sending a thank you note after making your next nolo purchase?

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Great story.. it made me laugh.

Some companies do just buy the domain if they feel it is reasonable. It may happen more than people might think. I hope it goes well with java.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are you sure that you are out of the woods?

I assume so - just waiting for transfer from Escrow.com. I've not heard of a UDRP filing after a completed sale.

It was $1,499... so they saved $1 :)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nolo is not a word in any other language

They took the name of their publishing company from the plea of "No lo contendere" - the charge is not contested, commonly called a "no lo" plea.

It was most famously made by Vice President Spiro Agnew in response to a charge of tax evasion. It is a guilty plea without admission.

You got lucky:

http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions/831176.htm
Complainant is Nolo (“Complainant”), represented by Richard Stim, of Nolo, 950 Parker Street, Berkeley, CA 94710. Respondent is Domain Administration Limited c/o David Halstead (“Respondent”), PO Box 37410, Parnell Auckland, Auckland, VIC 1033, NZ.

REGISTRAR AND DISPUTED DOMAIN NAME(s)

The domain name at issue is <nololaw.com>, registered with Enom, Inc.

[...]
Complainant asserts rights in the NOLO.COM mark through registration with the USPTO. The Panel finds that Complainant’s registration and use of the NOLO.COM mark is sufficient to establish rights pursuant to Policy ¶ 4(a)(i).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom