Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What tips do you have to write a good post for selling a domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know from the more experienced domainers any tips you have for writing a strong thread/post when selling a domain.

What are the big things to avoid?

Should I leave some details out in order to get people commenting? More comments I have the more views and the stickier the thread gets?

Thanks

DG

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First, who are you selling to and who is your market?

That will strongly dictate the structure of anything you want to write or convey.

DO NOT quote estibot.

But there is another DO NOT quote statement that I believe is often overused and overlooked...

DO NOT QUOTE HISTORICAL SALES DATA!

Those names sold at the prices they sold for because someone else was willing to pay that amount of money. No matter what has sold, each individual name sold based on certain criteria the buyer was looking for. Each name has its own value and that value is an unknown until the name sells. What other names sell for in my opinion is totally 100% irrelevant to any other name, irregardless of extension. Each name is as individual and as unique unto itself because there is only one name in a particular extension. It is like a vanity license plate or social security number...there is only one of, it is unique, and can not be copied. That is why historical sales (especially in this economy) have absolutely no bearing on any name being sold today.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd like to know from the more experienced domainers any tips you have for writing a strong thread/post when selling a domain.

What are the big things to avoid?

Should I leave some details out in order to get people commenting? More comments I have the more views and the stickier the thread gets?

Thanks

DG

if the domain is low quality, then words won't add value or interest.

though some can be fooled by gkwt, the bot, etc.

if you have actual traffic or revenue stats, that's noteworthy.

however, the offers you receive could be based on that alone, with no consideration for intrinsic value of the domain.

if your domain is of high quality, then no adjectives, phrases, metaphors or similies are needed to describe it.

imo...

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. To expand on what Doc says above - Do not quote Estibot/Sedo/Afternic or any other automated valuation service!

2. Do not say the domain is a 'Prime domain name'.

3. Do not quote the number of search results in Google.

4. Do quote the number of exact local searches for the domain name on Google, not the broad number of searches.

5. Do not expect to sell the domain name quickly (unless you are selling at a real bargain price). Treat sales threads as advertising that you have the domain for sale and that someone who reads it will remember your thread at some time in the future and link it to a client or idea.

Just a few thoughts that are a little short of 2 cents worth I think.

Last edited:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I love it when people say "UNIQUE DOMAIN!!!!" or "ONE OF A KIND DOMAIN!!" aren't they all?

DO NOT QUOTE HISTORICAL SALES DATA!

Those names sold at the prices they sold for because someone else was willing to pay that amount of money. No matter what has sold, each individual name sold based on certain criteria the buyer was looking for. Each name has its own value and that value is an unknown until the name sells. What other names sell for in my opinion is totally 100% irrelevant to any other name, irregardless of extension. Each name is as individual and as unique unto itself because there is only one name in a particular extension. It is like a vanity license plate or social security number...there is only one of, it is unique, and can not be copied. That is why historical sales (especially in this economy) have absolutely no bearing on any name being sold today.

I have to slightly disagree with this. A couple of times in the past I've been able to use recent sales of similar domains (same domain, different TLD etc..) to justify a price way off what the other party was requesting (buying and selling). Each time the agreed price was a lot closer to my figure than their's.

Recent sales data on very similar domains is not a bad thing to look at but make sure they are very similar (like I said, same domain, different TLD).

Leave out all irrelevant data - yes, we know what a LLL combination can stand for and we can easily look up search volume.

Don't B.S. us, we'll call you out on it - and it's been done before many times. While most people don't care about traffic if you're claiming hundreds of visitors a day on your 3 month old hand reg, be able and willing to back up that claim with proof, including sources, etc..

Keep the price reasonable but leave room to negotiate.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to slightly disagree with this.
Recent, perhaps. If it is beyond 3-6 months, I see no point in quoting what something sold for.

Frankly, I have never quoted sales price to a potential buyer. Nothing can compare to a (name).(extension) simply because there is no other exactly like it.

Plus, comparable sales if using price data at all...don't quote sex.com for 12.5mil when selling an LLL of totally non-descript random LLL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom