Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What TLDs to Lock Up After .com

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtfulWebSites

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Didn't know what other forum to post this question in. This seemed the only appropriate one. So, here goes...

If I own the .com for a particularly nice 2-word generic domain name, how important is it to lock up the other available TLDs, e.g.: .net, .org, .info, .mobi, .biz and .us? All of them, or only certain ones?

What about the respective plurals of all those domains, e.g.: oranges.com, etc. Would that be important?

If I were to reg those other TLDs, what should I do with them? Forward them to the .com? Should I promote them all separately the the SEs and directories?

Looking for your collective wisdom and advice.

rusty123

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If its a nice domain name with high overture and you expect type ins from the other extensions, i would grab them and point them to your main .com site. It might be worth grabing them anyway if you expect they have name value.

Likewise with the plural oranges.com would point to orange.com or visa-versa. An example would be downloads.com pointing to download.com

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would grab at least .net & .org plus the ccTLDs where you may be doing business (eg .us). I forward everything to .com unless these are localized versions of the site by country.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Definitely .NET and .ORG, and the ccTLDs if you think it's significant to your market. You should forward to the .COM, but if your site has some geographical functions, you could forward the ccTLDs to their respective region..

Think about .MOBI as well, if you can afford to pay a little extra - it's a big gamble, but consider whether it's worth it down the track if .MOBI takes off (I personally don't think it will, but I own .MOBIs nonetheless)

jacal1

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
People in England, in particular, use their cc (.co.uk) a lot - many even use it ahead of .com. If your word is a commerce word, and that product is sold in the UK, I'd reg. .co.uk.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if .MOBI takes off (I personally don't think it will, but I own .MOBIs nonetheless)
I does me good to see someone actually put some thought and rationale into this rather then just jump on it and beat it into the ground before it even has a chance.

We are investors and we need a diversified portfolio and some just do not see it this way. Glad to see a mod spell it out like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom