Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What to charge end-user when reseller price is searchable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm contacting a company to try to sell them a category-defining .com domain for the business they're in.

Problem: I had previously offered this domain to resellers through a public sale listing; that listing was republished on multiple sites, so if the end user searches for the domain name, they will see it listed with the reseller price (which is about 1/3 of the price I had in mind for the end user).

I know that just because a price was published, that doesn't mean I have to sell it to an end user for that much. But I have a feeling that after I offer it to the end user for $X, they're going to come back to me and say "We see it was offered for sale not long ago for much less." (They also know I've owned it since before it was listed for the lower price.)

I had some contact with this end user before and know I can't ask them to make an offer; they want a price from me. Should I take the chance they won't find that reseller price listing, or should I just try to blow it out to them at the cheaper price (which I would have been happy to accept from a reseller)?

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they are serious buyers, enduser minded, they will be responsive to the fact that times have changed.

To quote a fairly popular well-knowned reseller,...

"Call me back when the domain is worth XXX amount.... to you.",... and it will be worth that much.

Otherwise just wait it out.

If they really want it, it will be worth what you need.

kmp

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That exact situation actually happened to me not to long ago. I was in the second day of negotiations with an enduser and about to close the deal for $1500. Then out of the blue I received an email saying that he sees the name for sale on a site for $60!!!! I originally had the name for sale on a board at a reseller price. This guy had a hard time understanding what was going on so I had to do some explaining and some bull****ing. Ended up closing at $1000. Lesson learned was dont post names for sale with reseller prices if you think there still is a chance to sell to an enduser. Remember, anything you post on any site can always be found.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If they are true "end-user" then they would not google the name.
You own the name you set the price regardless of where the name is listed and what the price was.

There is only ONE NAME so if they want the name, they want the name.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the end user comes back with your reseller quotes, tell them it was a time limited offer, possibly a distress sale.
Obviously the discovery will give them more bargaining power but if they are truly interested you should be able to find middle ground.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not explain to them about what they found on the internet.
I just said this is my name and my price. If you don't like it then find something else.

Hold the knife with the handle, not the blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom