Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What type of hosting best suits me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good Morning,
I was working on a project for quite some time now, the website is almost ready! The website is in php, a lot of rss in being used, and there will be users signing up. I have no idea how fast this site will grow, however I already know around 10-20 ppl whom I have told about the idea, willing to sign up and add us to their homepage. However users will not be downloading anything from the websites. One key thing is the website should load very FAST!!

I am guessing I will need a lot of Bandwith!
since ppl will be adding it as their homepage. and also a lot of RSS feeds from other websites.

A buddy of mine has recommended me VPS , would that be the best one?!
If So which... Please share experiences Such as Downtime and Instant Support .

Thanks so much!
Mudi

Domain Days 2024

DMaN

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RSS feeds generally don't become an issue until you have reached in the thousands on subscribers. I think you would be fine starting out with shared web hosting and then moving on to a VPS or dedicated when the time comes. There's no sense in spending an extra $10-$25/month for a VPS when you don't need it.

The other thing about a VPS is do you know how to properly administrate a server or will you need a managed VPS?

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A VPS is definitely not needed. Go for shared hosting :) Until you start getting low xxx,xxx page views per month, shared should be the way to go (that's very general, as every site has different demands).

One of my sites gets around 3 million page views per month (over that now, although it did 6 months ago maybe) - I only moved to VPS hosting 3 months ago :) For new sites, always go for shared. There's no justifying the mid-high xx monthly cost for a VPS package, when a shared site will probably do (for a new site).

mudi

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RSS feeds generally don't become an issue until you have reached in the thousands on subscribers. I think you would be fine starting out with shared web hosting and then moving on to a VPS or dedicated when the time comes. There's no sense in spending an extra $10-$25/month for a VPS when you don't need it.

The other thing about a VPS is do you know how to properly administrate a server or will you need a managed VPS?

Thanks. I will be needing a managed VPS!

A VPS is definitely not needed. Go for shared hosting :) Until you start getting low xxx,xxx page views per month, shared should be the way to go (that's very general, as every site has different demands).

One of my sites gets around 3 million page views per month (over that now, although it did 6 months ago maybe) - I only moved to VPS hosting 3 months ago :) For new sites, always go for shared. There's no justifying the mid-high xx monthly cost for a VPS package, when a shared site will probably do (for a new site).

Thanks a lot really appreciated as well! Now are there any companies that you guys would recommend. lot of bandwith... and very good uptime, its very important because this is a crucial time (launch) dont want any upset users!

THanks guys, upoun researching I have found out about Hostgator, will be trying them! their Swamp package (Shared Hosting)

Thanks again! you guys are great!

lordbyroniv

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hostgator seems to be very popular

Any other ideas where to host a forum?

Does Network Solutions or Moniker host forums?

Thanks

PrezKennedy

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can host your own forum on your shared account. I would stay away from Network Solutions. They're rather expensive for what they are...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom