Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What was the worst hand reg or domain purchase you made?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
We were all (and some still continue) to be new to the world of domaining. I myself am not quite there, but have great sales if I can personally talk to the end user (my preferred method of contact than email as I am able to adapt to their personality quickly and close smoothly).

When I first began I'm shameful to admit to my first hand reg of Bruno (you know, the movie) dot org. To top it off, it was an IDN with the two dots above the U. To make matters worse, for a quick flip, I featured it on almost all venues.

Hand reg investment: ~$150

Profit: -$150 and my dignity.

Trust and believe, I've come far sine then... but share a story of yous. :)

Adi Weitzman

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I haven't been domain investing that long but I hand registered MinorityGrant.us, CarWindowTinting.us and CarTint.us. For my part, I think these names are decent and would be able to fetch a decent price for a couple of reasons. First, I think I can develop quality site on these two topics. I like Adam Dicker's lead generation site Limo.ca and thought that CarWindowTinting.us could be made in a similar way. There isn't anything on the .com and to me that is an opportunity to create something to fill the void in this space. Second, since these were hand registered I paid about $12 dollars for each domain name and in today's market it can be a challenge buying a quality .com name for a domainer price. I look forward to hearing back from you and connecting with you as well.

Thanks,

Adi Weitzman
Top Rank Names, LLC
blogaboutdomains.com
TopRankNames.com

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@AdI, I think you missed the point of this thread. It was to post your worst reg that helped you significantly look at the business differently and learn from your mistakes. :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My worst hand reg ? All those that didn't sell, and that is quite a few :D

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I once got in a bidding war at TDNAM and foolishly paid $700 for a .ws
About 10 years later I still have the name.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Three that I regged that got a cease and desist order yesterday from an attorney. Typo of a new drug. DAMN...the traffic and clicks!

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A dozen years or so ago, I grabbed allthisandmore.com off a droplist

That was in the $35 Network Solutions days too. Don't know what the hell I was smoking, but it soon became evident to me that it was a stinker.

I now put all domain purchases through the "allthisandmore.com" mental test before hitting the buy button.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the keyword "all" +, I think I paid ~$200 for AllNewReleases.com on TDNAM "Buy Now" years ago and sold it for $14 recently on the $1 auction here...

I made a few bad mistakes, but there is a learning curve and some names you may think are totally worthless (in the closeout bin), can be sold to end users for a hell of a profit.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Three that I regged that got a cease and desist order yesterday from an attorney. Typo of a new drug. DAMN...the traffic and clicks!

Generic or name brand?

I got a C&D order from an attorney (posted one email in the Exclusive section)... I just sarcastically blew him off by email, phone and cursed him out for now paying me my last months paycheck. He'll have to pay to get the damn site shut down. I estimate it's costing them $15,000+ in advertising more a month (as I've seen more ads), I hope around $100,000 in sales a month (as I receive many "thank you" emails) and God knows how much in restructuring their business model (a lot of things have changed since almost a year ago with the way they do business).

They once offered me $10,000 to shut it down... I said I wanted to retire and to add another 0 and change that 1 to a 5 after taxes (literally)... They said they would think about it and the $10,000 came off the table. It's still up, they're still losing business, I'm not doing a damn thing (can't, cause I signed a non-disclosure agreement for my last paycheck, which took 4 months of me harassing them for it).

If you're exclusive, please don't post the domain name here.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generic or name brand?

I got a C&D order from an attorney (posted one email in the Exclusive section)... I just sarcastically blew him off by email, phone and cursed him out for now paying me my last months paycheck. He'll have to pay to get the damn site shut down. I estimate it's costing them $15,000+ in advertising more a month (as I've seen more ads), I hope around $100,000 in sales a month (as I receive many "thank you" emails) and God knows how much in restructuring their business model (a lot of things have changed since almost a year ago with the way they do business).

They once offered me $10,000 to shut it down... I said I wanted to retire and to add another 0 and change that 1 to a 5 after taxes (literally)... They said they would think about it and the $10,000 came off the table. It's still up, they're still losing business, I'm not doing a damn thing (can't, cause I signed a non-disclosure agreement for my last paycheck, which took 4 months of me harassing them for it).

If you're exclusive, please don't post the domain name here.
Just released to market = brand.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
-My worst hand reg was some .co domains.Got caught in all that. Waste of money.-

Last edited:

Fabbstar

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've hand regged some horrors and some cracking trademarks to boot!

Live and learn, I'm now more sparing with my investments and spend more time/money on developing/promoting websites.

Can't help but research and reg keyword dns every now and again though, which is odd, cos the only domains I've ever sold have had under 500 exact searches p/month!

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Speaking of TM typos, I once thought that was the way to go. I registered the last TM typo of my own bank, made 3x reg fee and sold it for 100 I believe (bad concept, but good profit). I also had a F0rev3r Tw3nty 1 typo that made $1 over reg fee for the year, but dropped it cause didn't want to be a TM typo domainer.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My biggest regret is trying to register "clever" domains. No one will ever buy a freakin' clever domain.. Who the hell was I trying to impress?

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
any.newtld

Adi Weitzman

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
@AdI, I think you missed the point of this thread. It was to post your worst reg that helped you significantly look at the business differently and learn from your mistakes. :)

lol David you are right! My worst domain was (no laughing please) CamelotCameras.com I was a big King Arthur and mythology fan back then and I worked selling cameras on ebay and Amazon. My second name was HPLaserPrinters.org. Not really a bad name but a trademark.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
.mobi. wasted way too much money onit.

And so did a lot of other domainers who got sucked into all the hype, you can thank your compadre's for that.

I can safely say that my total loss for mobi was $1, Registered one domain, earned $9 from 1 click in a 2 year period and dumped it.

3dGEEK

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Too many over the years I guess, however one springs to mind wayback during sunrise period of the '.eu' release. Applied for around 700 domain Pre-Registrations but only 1 got through to me. All because I mis-spelt it (actually it was my loving wife to whom I was reading out names as she typed away) :lol:

tweleve.eu

Looking at it now, even twelve(.)eu would be on this list for me. What was I thinking ??

Saying that, someone got lucky and has it for sale on Sedo for 2,410 EUR. Good Luck to them. :)

Oh by-the-way, the good news is that my wife's spelling has improved dramatically. :smilewinkgrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom