Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What were these registrants thinking??

Status
Not open for further replies.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
im just waiting for the huge influx of sellers trying to dump their awesome (sarcasm) domains on the forum

there are a few hundred domains that will make sense with every extension (real.estate, web.guru, buy.bikes, etc)

the rest are just a waste of money

NameYourself

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And keep in mind that a majority of the few which do make sense likely have exorbitant renewal fees already with no guarantees on future pricing.. does it get traffic or gain significant value like you are hoping the name would when you bought it right now? It probably won't, but if it does become popular whats to prevent the registries from making the renewal price whatever they want just to collect it back again or bilk you out of your investment? I'm not saying it will happen, but the possibility is there.. Electric companies charge based on how many watts you use, and so too is it possible for the registry to one-day charge inflated renewal prices based on traffic volume, or some other metric.. This is not a far-fetched idea.. ISPs already tried doing this with internet usage and so far have been unsuccessful. These investments in 1000s of new tlds are probably the most speculative of all kinds of domain buys you could make. That's not to say some people won't have a couple significant sales or that a few new startups will take a new extension, get creative and start something big on one of them. Surely this will happen, but use some common sense and don't make a bunch of buys simply based on what's hot this week. Remember we will be seeing this happen week after week after week for year after year after year.

Remember back several years ago when there were only a few of the alternative gTLDs to choose from. That was a time when music.mobi not only sold for $616,000 but also was also battled over in court.. more than 1 person saw that kind of value in it! Fast forward to today and (apps.mobi) which I saw on snapnames a few months ago sold for little more than 1k.. that's one of the best fits possible to the mobile gtld.. and it was dropped. Now we have 1000s of these .mobi-like alternative gtlds. There has to be something big, something much more working for an extension if it is to ever break through all the noise and have some kind of established value or real-world use. There's nothing wrong with getting excited or buying some new gtlds, but be realistic and keep in mind history of new gtld cycles, common sense, and understand the risk. These registries want to make money, plain and simple and so far they're doing pretty darn well ;)

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
99% of the premium (makes sense) domains as I mentioned above are held back by the respected gTLD owners to be auctioned at a later date.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I truly feel bad for all people getting wrapped up in the .bullshit domain hype - people take your money and buy one or two good solid .com domains that matter! :cool:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I am all for .cheetos and .ganja getting approved.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.ganja count me in homie! :yes: :cool:

or .pot for that matter would be even phatter ;)

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I expect that most consumers will get confused and add .com when they're told to go to "meet dot singles" or "buy dot bike"

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or their phone or browser auto-populates it as such! Looking at my girlfriends iphone and the little .com button makes me laugh :lol:

I mean, it's on the phone man! :cool:

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how many .info sites do you get when you google... ive yet to see one, lol

why would the new extensions be any different.

the only reason I would buy a gtld would be to compliment my .com business name.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I truly feel bad for all people getting wrapped up in the .bullshit domain hype - people take your money and buy one or two good solid .com domains that matter! :cool:
Or donate to charity if you really have money to burn - at least you'll get some tax benefits in return :pound:

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm for these two extensions

.OnceBittenTwiceShy or
.FoolMeOnceShameOnYouFoolMeTwiceShameOnMe :pound:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how many .info sites do you get when you google... ive yet to see one, lol

why would the new extensions be any different.

the only reason I would buy a gtld would be to compliment my .com business name.

Google "Spain" and I think that will be the one and only exception. It still doesn't outrank Wikipedia though. ;)

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Or if some genius stole your megabucks idea and handregged RobertsAbsolutelyAwesomeCompany.contractor, BestInTheWorldWestOfTheMississippi.photography or FindBetterWaysToWasteYourFrickinMoney.moron.....ok don't dispair ... when those noobs see the renewal costs which they can't carry they'll all be dropped for you to take !

:clap2:

Last edited:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't want to toss this one out, but someone may get this... for 40 bucks, is it worth:

t*.holdings?

;)

I'll reg it and flip it to you for 41 dollars. BAM, that's a quick flip there!

Last edited:

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't even care if they gave me just the .bullshit extension free, the whole thing! It doesn't matter I still would not use it or build on it when I can use a .com. I would print it on toilet paper and wipe my ass with it and get some good usage out of it! Flushhhhhh!:lol: :laugh:

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't even care if they gave me just the .bullshit extension free, the whole thing! It doesn't matter I still would not use it or build on it when I can use a .com. I would print it on toilet paper and wipe my ass with it and get some good usage out of it! Flushhhhhh!:lol: :laugh:

It's someones registered business name, of which they own the .com and one worder .com as well. Just seeing if 40 bucks is worth it to redirect to that one worder. ;)

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I expect that most consumers will get confused and add .com when they're told to go to "meet dot singles" or "buy dot bike"
I have already done it a few times when I was searching for sites on some of these new extensions.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You know until all the popular phone's have .bullshit shortcut buttons on them (not gonna happen) and browsers auto-populate something other than .com (not gonna happen) and all the big major corporate marketing campaigns abandon their .com domains they have built over the last decade or longer - these domains are not relevant without substantial branding and a ton of money. Even then you lose a lot of traffic to the .com as mentioned above, this is the way it is people. The wheel works best as a round shape. You can also swim against the current and you can make a fire on a frozen lake, but we all know the eventual reality here with 99.9% of these domains. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom