Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

question What will happen with (.md) Extension if Moldova and Romania Unites Back Again?

This is a general or domain name related question.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Hello
I would like to know your opinions of this, cause there are talks that Moldova can unite with Romania in the future, as i own a couple of such domains im worried that the extension can cease to exist.
Or maybe it can still exist under specific terms if even the union will happen.
What do you people think of this?

Domain summit 2024

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Any inputs on this, no body knows what happens with a ccTLD when a country merges with other and cease to exist?

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score

base

Level 3
Reaction score
Any inputs on this, no body knows what happens with a ccTLD when a country merges with other and cease to exist?
There doesn't seem to be any answer for this. But my thought is essentially a unity of the two countries would be a name change for the new country, so a new ccTLD could be delegated while the old ones would either eventually be expired, or kept but closed to new registrations.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31390600

https://serverfault.com/questions/1...about-changing-its-cctld-in-practice-in-parti

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be any answer for this. But my thought is essentially a unity of the two countries would be a name change for the new country, so a new ccTLD could be delegated while the old ones would either eventually be expired, or kept but closed to new registrations.

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=31390600

https://serverfault.com/questions/1...about-changing-its-cctld-in-practice-in-parti
It will probably remain as (.ro) the (.md) will be stopped to be used.

Futurenic

Level 2
Reaction score
Same thing that happened to the ccTLD of Yugoslavia.
".yu was the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) that was assigned to SFR Yugoslavia in 1989 and was mainly used by the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and its successor states after 1994. After Serbia and Montenegro acquired separate .rs and .me domains in 2007, a transition period started, and the .yu domain finally expired in 2010": Wikipedia

FUN FACT: If you register the .RO directly from the registrar. It costs nothing to renew only registration fee was required to pay (that's till 2017, the last I worked for a domain company). I don't know the exact policies that are going on currently.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
Same thing that happened to the ccTLD of Yugoslavia.
".yu was the Internet country code top-level domain (ccTLD) that was assigned to SFR Yugoslavia in 1989 and was mainly used by the Federal Republic of Yugoslavia and its successor states after 1994. After Serbia and Montenegro acquired separate .rs and .me domains in 2007, a transition period started, and the .yu domain finally expired in 2010": Wikipedia

FUN FACT: If you register the .RO directly from the registrar. It costs nothing to renew only registration fee was required to pay (that's till 2017, the last I worked for a domain company). I don't know the exact policies that are going on currently.
I think the (.md) extension should stay cause it is used by medicinal websites worldwide.
Another reason for the locals to be against uniting with our mother Romania.

jimmy-george

Reaction score
Geez... I only found about this now. My wife an actual doctor and has her name.md that I had registered in 2020. That is her primary email.

Neoget

Level 5
Reaction score
I own most important .md domains in the world, that is why I will be against this.
But honestly I would like to reunite with mother Romania back and be part of Europe Union automatically!

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators