Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuzzybean

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some advice on selling a developed site and domain name. I'm going to give as much detail without actually giving the domain name, since I am currently negotiating a sale. I have a 4 character domain that was registered a little more than two years ago that I used for selling a single product. I ran out of inventory about a year ago and just removed the ordering function from the site and left everything else in place figuring I would find an alternate source when I had time to work on the site again.

A few weeks ago I was contacted by someone looking to buy the domain name, the site and the customer list of about 350 people. The domain is 2 letters and 2 numbers (like pt##.com). It is a technical term for the product that was being sold. The Overture Search*Term*Suggestion*Tool shows a little more than 200 searches on the term last month and the term shows up in the following search engine listings:

Google - #2 out of 11,000
Yahoo Web Search - #4 out of 13,000
Altavista - #4
Excite - #1
HotBot #3
MSN - #2
All the Web - #2

Right now, traffic is limited to a handful of visitors each day, but it is all from search engines and it is all potential customers rather than just surfers in general. Last months stats show about 400 unique visitors and more than 1000 pageviews. When the site was active, it was doing about $300 - $600 per month in sales from the search engine traffic only. I didn't do any other advertising. I also get about 1 request each week from visitors wondering when I will be up and selling again. The domain could be of interest to medical device and / or electronics industries. I have had a few people show interest in the domain, but none showing as much interest as the current person I am talking to. We are talking in the $8xxx range. If I actually had time to research suppliers and get additional inventory and then invested a little bit of money into advertising, I could easily earn more than $1000 a month with the site. The thing is, I don't really have the time for it, or the interest. So should I just take the money and run, or would I be better off trying to market the fact that the domain and site are for sale and hold out for a bigger offer or maybe find a broker to try and sell the site for me?

Nodnarb

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you're looking to sell, maximize your purchase price as best you can. I would say $8k for a site with no revenue or sales for the last year, is a pretty sweet deal for you! If you want to spend the time and effort to earn that $1000 per month, I think you only increase the value of the site by about 50% or $12,000 total sale price.

I'd take the $8k now, and plow some of those $$ back into my next project.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom