Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Whatismyip.com is on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Seems a little strange it would go that high so early in the auction. Looks like it has lots of traffic though.

Joe

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Current UNIQUE monthly visitor count is 1,754,091"

If that's accurate, then the traffic for that domain is pretty staggering indeed! :-O

-Joe

darrenl

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've used it. Its a great site.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was thinking ... why bid so much so soon ... unless it's a live auction, there's little need to bid until near the end - if anything, when I see such early activity, especially when it's on ebay, I avoid the listing unless I'm 100% sure it's totally legit; lots of domain scams on ebay - afternic ain't much better, but I digress.

Anyways, for a domain like that, I'd contact the seller directly to attempt to work out a deal and have the auction closed - done that several times for domains at various auction places.

Looks like a great domain, but am curious as to where the traffic comes from, since most folks would never type that in blind ... with that said, if the in-bound links are solid, then the domain is definitely priced right ... wish the seller the best :)

Ron

Keith

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I wish I had the money for this one...

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Maybe it is ebay noobs bidding or something?
In the end I am sure it would go for much more than 50k I mean almost 2 million uniques/month !!!

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing there is 2 options,

Its either a "friend" bidding them up to try and increase the bid or its someone going in early hoping that no one else has the money to buy it....

My 2 cents worth....

peekaboo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Anyways, for a domain like that, I'd contact the seller directly to attempt to work out a deal and have the auction closed - done that several times for domains at various auction places.
he is specifically stating that he doesn't want to be done that way.

valuenames said:
Looks like a great domain, but am curious as to where the traffic comes from, since most folks would never type that in blind ...

if u google-in my ip or what is my ip - this one is on the very top. that is where the traffic comes from. i've used it several times myself.

it is staggering that the owner doesn't have any advertisment on that page whatsoever??? not even a simple adsense bar? that's tons of lost income.

anywho, when i see private bidding (id not viewable) that raises my red flag immediately.

Zion

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
valuenames said:
Exactly what I was thinking ... why bid so much so soon ... unless it's a live auction, there's little need to bid until near the end - if anything, when I see such early activity, especially when it's on ebay, I avoid the listing unless I'm 100% sure it's totally legit; lots of domain scams on ebay - afternic ain't much better, but I digress.

Looks like a great domain, but am curious as to where the traffic comes from, since most folks would never type that in blind ... with that said, if the in-bound links are solid, then the domain is definitely priced right ... wish the seller the best :)

Ron

It's not fraud, as whatismyip.com links to the ebay sale of it...

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why do we want to know what our IP address is?

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lukeeales said:
Why do we want to know what our IP address is?

One reason is security and credentials, firms like some of the domain registrars, web-server control panels, credit card processors, banks, forum boards, etc. keep track of IP logins.

Plus PHP may be coded to only allow use by specified IP's (where you may use your own IP).

There are other reasons too.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about this one, but decided not to bid.

The main issue is that it's likely the same people using the site over and over again (i.e. even though there were 1.7 million visitors over the month, the number of truly different people that represents is likely substantially smaller). Just like how forums have a lot of repeat visitors.

What really matters (to me, at least) is the ability to get "new" visitors each month. But, should be an interesting auction to watch.

SweDomains.com

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
trader said:
One reason is security and credentials, firms like some of the domain registrars, web-server control panels, credit card processors, banks, forum boards, etc. keep track of IP logins.

Plus PHP may be coded to only allow use by specified IP's (where you may use your own IP).

There are other reasons too.

Also one more reason is when i use to play cs, must have been like 7 years ago we always used that site to see our ip to give to other clans and we could play on our listen servers.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've always used it when I needed my IP for networking issues... it is legit and it is a handy site. I wish them the best with their sale.

freestyler

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
MovieDomains said:
I've always used it when I needed my IP for networking issues... it is legit and it is a handy site. I wish them the best with their sale.

Same here :approve:

Zion

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Winning bid: US $386,100.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom