Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Wanted: Service Whats happened to my forum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hi

I tried to look on my forum today and its gone, instead i get the message "PHPBB crytical error" on a blank page!

Does this mean my forum has been hacked? I know phpbb has a few security issues but i did have the latest version.

It had only been online for a few weeks and only had a few members but its still a bit of a blow after struggling to get the thing off the floor

do you think in the future i should pay out to use vbulletin, is this more secure?

Thanks for any help people

datat

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
First thing you should do is log in and look to see if the database is still there.

If it is, check the tables, then just restore the missing files.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's possible it's been hacked but it's also possible that the server the site is hosted on has coughed ("cannot connect to database") - can your host assist? Do you or they have a backup?

dotman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ive just contacted my host and am waiting for a reply.

Ive looked on the my webspace and the forum files do seem to still be there. i have no idea whether any of the files have been edited though, my knowledge of these sorts of things is limited.

I have a couple of back up copys i can restore to, theyre a little bit old but they will have to do.

datat

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
edit:

Use the database on the server for the post files and your backup for the php/page files.

That way you should not loose any thing.

Good luck!

dotman

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ok, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom