Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

What's important

Status
Not open for further replies.

tedsudol

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,
When I started out purchasing domain names I was following my own guidelines of short, must make sense logically, correct spelling and phonetics. And of course have some market potential. I posted a few here to be appraised and got no response or negative response while I saw domains of the same type going for good money.

Several on the forum said basing the selection of domain names on the criteria I set up for myself was foolish and I should instead look for statistics like typein traffic, page rank, etc.

So I tried that but some tools have Alexia, MSN, Google, etc pagerank, typeintraffic, link density, etc. and the statistics never seem to coordinate with each other. So how do you pick which statistics are important?

I was able to get one of the dropped domains that according to the charts had a large number of type-ins in MSN, Alexia, and Google. There were also about 40 records in the waback archive so this name was a web site and was developed. After I got it I parked the name at a site that provides relevant content in addition to the ads. I thought that people were touting the value of expiring domains with traffic because if you put up a site you would be intercepting some of that traffic. I didn't notice any higher amount of traffic coming to that site than I had with other sites I parked that had no traffic statistics associated with them. Am I doing something wrong? Some people have posted saying capture the existing traffic. How do you do that?

I posted the question on the forum asking which statistics were important and people responded that I was trying to analyze too much, statistics could be faked and didn't mean much any way.

In looking at traffic statistics why would they be important from an expired domain that was specific to a company no longer in business, or for a subject no longer relevant. There seems to be lots of foreign expired sites with typein traffic but they seem to have been abandoned when the additional country codes were introduced. So why would they have value?

Thanks in advance for you help.

All the best,
Ted Sudol

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Formerly developed sites suffer from two things:

1. Link rot: other sites with outgoing links to the former site will be removed as they update their sites and see that the site is now dead or parked.

2. Google kicks out dropped domains so any backlinks in Google will disappear shortly after or even before the domain drops.

It's not easy to find good dropping domains anymore. So, if you are looking for advice...?

Find a niche or keyword or industry you know and like and chase that. Become an expert and build a site that offers visitors good, original content that they will want to come back for.

Also, buy quality, not quantity.

Spend $2000 on a good name, not $2000 on 30 drops. MUCH easier to manage, develop and sell.

Good luck. You are thinking and that's good. Now, think BIG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom