Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

What's lacking on Dnforum.com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, the purpose of this post is to see what people think is/are lacking on Dnforum. I know we have a 'suggestion' area but I do think this would serve for more active discussions. In any event, here's my thoughts to get things rolling...

I think one thing that would be quite beneficial to this forum and us all is having more promotions/contests other then a discount for going premium or NFL pool.

I would love to see the exclusive area updated with new 'news' and tools or even comments and sales/wanted post.

I would like to actually receive a newsletter once in a while.

I would really like to see an increased posting from members who have been in the industry for ages yet simply lurk in the background as Gold members with 6 or so postings since 2003.

I would like to see the arcade reinitialized.... come on... yes we're adults (majority of us)... but there's nothing like having the choice of a little Pac Man here or there :eek:k:

I would also like to see Dnforum be greener. Since I've been here I'm not sure I've read anything on charitable givings or a green focus ideology (could be wrong but have not seen it).

Obviously this post is only to better this great resource that we have and I hope collectively we can come up with ideas that are instrumental in growth.

WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

Upvote 0
I

impactadmin

We are definitely open to the suggestions and always open to adding more features.

Feel free to add your suggestions here and we can incorporate some based on members ideas.

ksinclair

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is what I would like to see:

1) A thread started has the option to Close a thread. And Closed threads should show
in the message index for any forum. This will save readers time, save everyone time.

2) The PM message limit is far too low, for all account types. Is storage such a premium?
It should be increased.

3) Something I recently started is have a folder called Pending Delete. Its stuff I want
to keep for a few weeks, like during a domain transfer, and then delete. Its a
handy way to manage those messages instead of leaving them to get lost in my
overly-full inbox, or my very-overly-full Archive folder. So this folder could be
automatically created for any new account too.

4) Auctions should end with an automated message. If its too hard to know the winner,
just by software, then update everyone who posted in the auction thread. This also
has the huge advantage of eliminating arguments over who won, based on time
stamps. if the winner is declared and PM'd to all bidders, then it has clarity.

nameadvertising.com

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1] I'd like to see a thread where a portion of the sales will go directly (not to any charitable organization) to the families of our soldiers who gave their time, lives for our country.

I understand, this forum is open to domainers form all over the globe, so it may be a sensitive request. But, I am working on this issue privately myself.

So kindly take it as a thought.

Chuck

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1] I'd like to see a thread where a portion of the sales will go directly (not to any charitable organization) to the families of our soldiers who gave their time, lives for our country.

I understand, this forum is open to domainers form all over the globe, so it may be a sensitive request. But, I am working on this issue privately myself.

That could be, as you say, very difficult to put in place. However, a very worthy cause and suggestion.

Keep the suggestions coming. The more members voices that get heard, the better for all involved!

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Small suggestion: The headers on the Gold, Platinum, Exclusive sections are all the same color, black. The colors should be like how they were before.

Chuck

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Small suggestion: The headers on the Gold, Platinum, Exclusive sections are all the same color, black. The colors should be like how they were before.

That one we will hold off on since a new design is about ready :tape:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think one thing that would be quite beneficial to this forum and us all is having more promotions/contests other then a discount for going premium or NFL pool.

I would love to see the exclusive area updated with new 'news' and tools or even comments and sales/wanted post.

I would like to see the arcade reinitialized.... come on... yes we're adults (majority of us)... but there's nothing like having the choice of a little Pac Man here or there :eek:k:

I like these ideas and as for the tools - most of them were donated by exclusive members. If you have something that you'd like to offer (and can give it legally) feel free to contact one of the admins.

1) A thread started has the option to Close a thread. And Closed threads should show in the message index for any forum. This will save readers time, save everyone time.

I think this could easily be abused, especially in the non-sales forums. People always have the ability to edit the first post (sales threads) stating that the sale is over.

That could be, as you say, very difficult to put in place. However, a very worthy cause and suggestion.

Due to abuse and potential serious abuse, this is against the rules. While I agree it would be great if we could get a donation for Katrina recovery, disabled veterans, American red cross, ASPCA, animal rescue, what would be the limit and if it was forum based, I think no matter who the money was given to, some people would not be happy with it.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Ironically you should mention that Chris. I'm currently in the Army 82nd Airborne 1-505 Panthers having left a comfortable accounting job to do so and my best friend in the army recently lost a hometown buddy so that idea would be great and inspirational to me though I know that it would not be too feasible. (forgive the run on sentence)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
-X- I too liked the arcade. My favorite was a game called 'Nutty' or something like that :D But I have a better treat for you, as long as you use Firefox: FireNES from http://firenes.en.softonic.com - you have hundreds (thousands?) of classic arcade games at your disposal played as Firefox java applets. And that includes Pacman!

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
-X- I too liked the arcade. My favorite was a game called 'Nutty' or something like that :D But I have a better treat for you, as long as you use Firefox: FireNES from http://firenes.en.softonic.com - you have hundreds (thousands?) of classic arcade games at your disposal played as Firefox java applets. And that includes Pacman!

Nice program thanks!

Last edited:

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
After seeing good members leave, I just come to see good deals that can be had.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'd like to see that Gigantic header with that Gigantic banner reduced to at least half it's size.... For anyone using 1024x768 screen resolution, Over 75% of the page is occupied with Header and Menu bars.. It would be nice if we could at least see the first post of a thread in it's entirety without scrolling.

As for allowing donations, I'm all for it... Why not create a list of reputable charities the Forum will allow?.

I

impactadmin

Taking all suggestions into account.

We will work on adding as many as we can and cleaning up the header area as well with the new design.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
what's lacking on DNForum.com

imo is...

the lack of respect that some members have for others, especially those who claim to be "well respected" in the community.

they think that because they've been here for a few years, got plenty of TR points and lots of posts that they can disrespect others personally or disrespect forum rules because of the stature they "think" they have here.

it's one of the reasons why many of the old timers don't post or newbs for that matter.

also lacking on this forum is "common sense" and logic, especially where it pertains to politics forum. many of the arguments are silly and some members only come here to incite others in that section, without making any real contribution to the domain community as a whole.
it doesn't matter what side of the fence you sit on, just make reasonable, logical arguments and keep them respectful, and professional.

also...

i really don't want to see arcade games or a "sedo push to auction" section.

if you want to play games, go play your wii or nintendo or xbox or jump rope or something, but when you come here you should be ready to discuss domains.

don't want to see no "sedo push to auction" because i feel it will load sedo's site with a bunch of crap names in auction that may overshadow those that got legitimate bids.
i think that would open the door to shill offers, just to get in auction.

finally, charities are cool, they help people when they are used right....but not here.

imo..

LarryWentz

Sasquatch Researchin' Pool Hall Junkie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't want to see no "sedo push to auction" because i feel it will load sedo's site with a bunch of crap names in auction that may overshadow those that got legitimate bids.
i think that would open the door to shill offers, just to get in auction.

Not true - If someone places a $60 bid and doesn't pay for it then they likely will lose their SEDO membership - the $60 bids will be "legitimate". There are tons of good names lost in the millions of names because they don't get "exposure" needed. It also is great for the buyers who potentially can purchase names at low prices.

Pushtoauction.com does this format and here is a quote from their site "Soon after PushToAuction.com went live we worked closely with Sedo's North American risk management coordinator, Tom Fell, to monitor auctions started by the site's users. He was unable to find any correlation between auctions started from our site and an increase in canceled auctions."

Translation - The $60 start bid did not produce more bogus auctions ...... just more sales.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not true - If someone places a $60 bid and doesn't pay for it then they likely will lose their SEDO membership - the $60 bids will be "legitimate". There are tons of good names lost in the millions of names because they don't get "exposure" needed. It also is great for the buyers who potentially can purchase names at low prices.

Pushtoauction.com does this format and here is a quote from their site "Soon after PushToAuction.com went live we worked closely with Sedo's North American risk management coordinator, Tom Fell, to monitor auctions started by the site's users. He was unable to find any correlation between auctions started from our site and an increase in canceled auctions."

Translation - The $60 start bid did not produce more bogus auctions ...... just more sales.

i would only consider agreeing to such a proposal here, if Sedo "co-signed" it.

and to your promo of that push site...

those that use or want a "push to auction" and are satisified with selling their names for $60 when they don't get any other bids, could just sell them here for $55 and save paying Sedo the commission fee's.

good luck though to that "innovator" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators