Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale what's the accepted local search volume for .ca?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i'm beginning to take an interest in cctld's.

so how do you determine that it's a good name? what must be the exact local search volume and what is the current trend of pricing?

you may share your previously sold .ca here to give me/us an idea.

thanks in advance for your inputs.

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
do some research

you are more than welcome to take an interest but don't expect someone else to do the work for you

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most days I have my African Grey type random .ca on the keyboard, ok this sounds crazy, right but I figured, if he can read he can write so why not.

Pricing is a little trickier because he can only count to 10, so sometimes he gets a lot of hateful replies to emails. He also learned to curse while on the phone talking to sellers. I am currently trying to teach him to count to at least 20.

He hasnt sold any names yet but he tries hard, he did have one trade with his friend, Paulie but I dont consider that a real deal.

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
do some research

you are more than welcome to take an interest but don't expect someone else to do the work for you

i don't like your last statement. you're an aged member (nothing to do with your age though), you should know why forums exist or people came here and post threads like this. i don't think that's the kind of attitude you so-called old domainers should show to new players in the industry. besides this is the forum for cctlds, so i think i am in the right place and your comment is not.

goodness, why do you people need to be mean? we're all domainers here trying to make a living. we should help one another to promote this industry not tear someone else down by misplaced, uncalled for comments.

"you are more than welcome to take an interest..."

and what makes you think you alone has the right to take an interest in anything? you don't own the industry, so thanks but no thanks.

LegendaryJP,

I don't quite get the pun, but , at least you're trying to be funny by being creative. ;)

any more interesting and informative replies? :)

Last edited:

theinvestor

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
a shame you think my comment isn't in the right place...but i am giving you the best advice you will get

if you think you can come into a discussion forum and ask about exact local search volume and get the answer to make the correct decision you are sadly mistaken and very naive

ask these questions to 10 different domainers here and i can guarantee you will get 10 different answers

i stand behind what i said...do your own research if you want to learn about an extension

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My blog has a lot of .ca sales posted going back 1 or 2 years.

As for what makes a good .ca domain, pretty much what is good in .com, minus the stuff that might only apply in other countries (e.g.: ToledoLawyers, or GlasgowNews), and even they can be good .ca's sometimes!

If it's a word or term that has commercial appeal and would be understood by most Canadians, it's probably a decent domain. And generic words (e.g. animals, blueprint, moms) can also be good.

The main issues holding back .ca is the relatively small population in Canada, and ownership restrictions to "Canadian presence". On the other hand, .ca's are common in media and business now, and my opinion is that good names will go up in price over the long term.

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
a shame you think my comment isn't in the right place...but i am giving you the best advice you will get

if you think you can come into a discussion forum and ask about exact local search volume and get the answer to make the correct decision you are sadly mistaken and very naive

ask these questions to 10 different domainers here and i can guarantee you will get 10 different answers

i stand behind what i said...do your own research if you want to learn about an extension

i want the other 9 domainers then if they ever exist.

yeah, it's a shame for trying to be of help by doing the opposite.

it's like it's your first time in England and you're asking the natives to help you in your way around the place. of course you've done a little research or you wouldn't be enticed to visit...if you're the native, would you bash visitors or (potential) customers for simply asking??...wouldn't you show them the best of England and not the worst of its people, in you?

as far as i know, this a section where cctld matters should be discussed. i'm just trying to make sense of what this forum is all about, then somebody hollers at me and say, "hey, do some research! you can't expect help from us, you ignorant!" goodness, can someone swat the fly for me??.. i've been foruming for the last 7 centuries, owned a little more than 20 domains in different extensions in my second year as a domainer, so maybe i was too dumb not to know what i am doing. even if i did, is it a crime to simply ask for some figures?? facts??

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as 'exact local search volume', we cannot answer a question like that.

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hugegrowth,

that's the kind of reply i needed. thanks for the kind assistance.

sdsinc,

if that is so, i respect that.

i just thought .ca must have different exact search volume requirement as buyers always mention that whenever they look for domains to buy and ask to use Google Keyword Tool.

For example, some buyers need an exact local search above 1,000 for buying generic .net or .org, for instance, at xxx price range. so i was wondering what is the case for .ca...hope i'm clear. thanks.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jessica, your question was rather unsettling. I was under the impression you lack the basics of domaining ;)

Search volume is just one way of gauging the potential of a name. Just because you have keywords with search volume doesn't mean the name is valuable. But clearly the figures will be lower because the market is smaller than, say, the US market. It's just that every buyer may have criteria of their own...

As for what makes a good name, the answers are many but apply to all extensions. For ccTLDs: understand the restrictions (in particular with .ca), stick to the local languages and study reported sales (look at Dnjournal, dnsaleprice etc). I guess looking at what sells is an excellent way to understand the market.
TBH ccTLDs are great but .ca is frustrating: limited market, ownership restrictions and the transfer process should be streamlined.

mulligan

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What you may perceive as harsh treatment will undoubtedly stand you in good stead.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If it's got a good search volume (1000+ monthly searches) and the keywords are commercial in nature (and I don't just refer to product keywords) then you have found a keeper. But whether it be a ccTLD or TLD the same domain principles apply.

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Jessica, your question was rather unsettling. I was under the impression you lack the basics of domaining ;)

i can't help it if you have that impression. retain it anyway, not a problem for me. :D

Search volume is just one way of gauging the potential of a name. Just because you have keywords with search volume doesn't mean the name is valuable. But clearly the figures will be lower because the market is smaller than, say, the US market. It's just that every buyer may have criteria of their own...

As for what makes a good name, the answers are many but apply to all extensions.
i am aware of this but just wanted to get different views to know at what particular point do i stand in relation to other domainers. most especially, to get an idea of the search volume typically required or desired in this extension.

For ccTLDs: understand the restrictions (in particular with .ca), stick to the local languages and study reported sales (look at Dnjournal, dnsaleprice etc). I guess looking at what sells is an excellent way to understand the market.

TBH ccTLDs are great but .ca is frustrating: limited market, ownership restrictions and the transfer process should be streamlined.
just what i needed to hear. thanks. ;)

If it's got a good search volume (1000+ monthly searches) and the keywords are commercial in nature (and I don't just refer to product keywords) then you have found a keeper. But whether it be a ccTLD or TLD the same domain principles apply.

hmmm, ok...i actually found one with that volume, but after what sdsinc has said, now i'm having doubts. :p thanks for the added clarification.

What you may perceive as harsh treatment will undoubtedly stand you in good stead.

different strokes for different folks. it is what i perceive it is. but thanks anyway for your opinion.

Last edited:

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I prefer to develop ones over 20k a month unless it is very niche and with little competition.

thebutler

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
. i've been foruming for the last 7 centuries,

I think you're really aging yourself with that line.

Seriously with the search volume it depends on;
How long will it take to develop a site;
SEO/SERP time frame (easier with some);
Income stream (Adsense-sales-affiliates);
Adsense PPC prices - biggest issue IMHO
Possible resale in future.

Parking newly reg'd .ca domains is not going to be making you any money. Develop and develop again and again.

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to the vets.

Me too! I thought I was the only one.

so how do you determine that it's a good name? If I don't like it. I don't buy it.

what must be the exact local search volume?
I find that a search volume of 2469 or more has an excellent rate of opportunity.

and what is the current trend of pricing? xxx,xxx-x,xxx,xxx or so i heard.

non-disclosure but rest-assured, you, your mama, and your papa could retire.

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most days I have my African Grey type random .ca on the keyboard, ok this sounds crazy, right but I figured, if he can read he can write so why not.

Pricing is a little trickier because he can only count to 10, so sometimes he gets a lot of hateful replies to emails. He also learned to curse while on the phone talking to sellers. I am currently trying to teach him to count to at least 20.

He hasnt sold any names yet but he tries hard, he did have one trade with his friend, Paulie but I dont consider that a real deal.

Being a little harsh aren't we JP. If your African Grey and Paulie switched names then that is a legit deal.

No wonder we can't get this stuff publicized if no one is willing to report their big deals. :sigh2:

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I prefer to develop ones over 20k a month unless it is very niche and with little competition.

i guess those names are already taken, if not a bit expensive.

I think you're really aging yourself with that line.

if 37 is already old, then yes. :)

Seriously with the search volume it depends on;
How long will it take to develop a site;
SEO/SERP time frame (easier with some);
Income stream (Adsense-sales-affiliates);
Adsense PPC prices - biggest issue IMHO
Possible resale in future.

Parking newly reg'd .ca domains is not going to be making you any money. Develop and develop again and again.
quite a lot to consider...right, i guess development is the best option.

Don't listen to the vets.

Me too! I thought I was the only one.

so how do you determine that it's a good name? If I don't like it. I don't buy it.

what must be the exact local search volume?
I find that a search volume of 2469 or more has an excellent rate of opportunity.

and what is the current trend of pricing? xxx,xxx-x,xxx,xxx or so i heard.

non-disclosure but rest-assured, you, your mama, and your papa could retire.

you got sense of humor, that's good.

what more can i ask for? that's a complete answer, thanks for taking the time and congrats for the sale. that's light in the tunnel. :)

Last edited:

onlinestoreca

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the .ca section of the forum Jessica. The more .ca domainers the better to spread the news of why people should own a .ca.

As a very general guideline and first pass I look for 1000 "Exact" monthly searches, but it really depends on the term.

As for sales, I don't think we have an established market yet. If you look on this board it looks like these .ca names are a $1 each. If you follow the TBR you would think that .ca names are a hot commodity.

Best of luck.

Jessica320

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OS,

so you're the good .ca ambassador? :)

thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement here and via PM. the apple does not fall far from the tree, so let's just keep the faith. i'm not sure if i'm going to pursue my interest in this extension, but it's nothing to do with the first two posts in this thread. each has given his opinion and i've given mine, so that's enough. perhaps it's just the winter season. :)

what's important is i got what i needed to know, so thank you all for the guidance.

i guess what .ca owners could do right now is start making noise by developing their domains or blogging using the extension. don't forget, 3 is a crowd. what if, more? ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom