Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

what's the value of .info vs. .com

Status
Not open for further replies.

utuxia

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was contacted today by someone who wanted to sell me a .com domain, they were asking $65,000 for it. I have the exact same .info domain and offered to sell it to them.

What do you think a reasonable price is?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was contacted today by someone who wanted to sell me a .com domain, they were asking $65,000 for it. I have the exact same .info domain and offered to sell it to them.

What do you think a reasonable price is?

they probably contacted you, because you have the .info

as in, if you didn't own it....no contact

the only way i could see if they would be interested is, if they owned the other top tlds of that name, except .info

if that was the case, then i'd ask them to make an offer.

if that's not the case, then they probably won't be interested.

utuxia

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
they probably contacted you, because you have the .info

as in, if you didn't own it....no contact

the only way i could see if they would be interested is, if they owned the other top tlds of that name, except .info

if that was the case, then i'd ask them to make an offer.

if that's not the case, then they probably won't be interested.

I understand that, I'm asking if the .com is valued at 65k, what do you think the .info is worth?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
short answer:

reg fee

why?

longer answer:

cuz we don't know the name

cuz the other extensions may be available to register or if not, may be expiring soon

cuz his asking price for the .com may be inflated, and based on nothing

especially when there is no expressed relationship between value and asking price

and if his name is not worth asking price, then that would decrease value of yours.

but i suspect you want someone to give you a fractional value, based on a "what if" scenerio

some may say, .info is valued at 5% , 2% or 10% of .com

while at the same time....no factional amount ever quoted, has proven true consistently.

imo...

Laird Mobi

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As with anything it's only worth what someones willing to pay for it. If you developed it and got some traffic flowing you could value it on the traffic & revenue, but without traffic and development just take the first offer even if it's just reg fee.

utuxia

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So there's no rule of thumb, 10%, 5%, on average. Obviously it all depends. But on general, when selling a site, it's worth 10-12 months revenue. I'm just looking for a simple rule to apply in this case.

The domain is smartinvesting.com and smartinvesting.info

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So there's no rule of thumb, 10%, 5%, on average. Obviously it all depends. But on general, when selling a site, it's worth 10-12 months revenue. I'm just looking for a simple rule to apply in this case.

as you said, there is no rule of thumb

but i'm curious, where did you get the 10-12 months revenue multiple for website sales?

i wouldn't even sell a domain for 10-12 months revenue

as for your specific domain, i won't get into appraising it here, as that should be done in Appraisal section.

Good Luck!

utuxia

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
that's the general consensus on posting sites to flippa, from what I've read. Obviously it varies. But if you're selling a micro-niche site or blog or whatever, 10-12 months revenue is about average selling price. You can look at recently sold prices and revenue claims on Flippa.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is no rule of thumb, but there is a huge gap in value for sure.
Your name would be very nice in .com but in .info it sounds like it should be developed.

.info domains don't seem to sell often for good amounts, so trying to put a price tag is a somewhat futile exercise when the pool of buyers is limited.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I understand that, I'm asking if the .com is valued at 65k, what do you think the .info is worth?

Just because someone is asking $65K for the .com does not mean it is worth $65K. I can list any of my names for a million dollars but it doesn't make them a million dollar name.

It is only worth $65K when someone pays $65K for it.

Bigge's numbers, IMO, are also rather optimistic - I think to fetch 1% of the .com value a .info would have to be at least a premium keyword.

Katherine has the best suggestion - develop it, start making $$$ from it and sell it based on revenue. .info domains don't sell well, especially in this market.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
that's the general consensus on posting sites to flippa, from what I've read. Obviously it varies. But if you're selling a micro-niche site or blog or whatever, 10-12 months revenue is about average selling price. You can look at recently sold prices and revenue claims on Flippa.

outside of itself, flippa sales do not represent a general consensus for the pricing of websites.

flippa is for folks looking to flip

and flippers tend to accept the lowest roi, so they can keep flippin

Bigge's numbers, IMO, are also rather optimistic -

those percentages were used as "examples for argument sake", and they should not be viewed as what i think a fractional value would be.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

The domain is smartinvesting.com and smartinvesting.info
It's all relative. They can ask for $65K and never get because no one wants to buy it for that much.

Putting a value on a domain is purely subjective and no written rules apply.

You can put a $65K price on your info version.

Next we'll see a thread asking, "Someone is selling a dot info name for $65,000.00 that is an exact match to my dot com. How much do you think I can get for my dot com?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom