Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

What's up with HostMonster?

Status
Not open for further replies.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
All of my folders (where all the sites are kept) are empty except a favicon file.

I just logged a ticket but is anyone else seeing this??

Edit: they're claiming either I or someone else went in and deleted all the files. Odd that all the favicon files were left.

Edit (2) - Access logs don't show anything out of the ordinary - everything seemed to be running fine until 8:00PM server time. Seems a lot of work for a hacker - go in and delete everything under each folder except the favicon (and the folders themselves).

Last edited:

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think Hostmonster has a trash can in the file manager somewhere.. hopefully you'll be able to find your files there. Look around in the file manager... I can't remember where it was.. just go up (to the folders that come BEFORE public_html) and try looking for it there. If someone's deleted it, more than likely they will be there. If not, it could be temporary... I've used Hostmonster before and they're very reliable. I hope you'll get your files!

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think Hostmonster has a trash can in the file manager somewhere.. hopefully you'll be able to find your files there. Look around in the file manager... I can't remember where it was.. just go up (to the folders that come BEFORE public_html) and try looking for it there. If someone's deleted it, more than likely they will be there. If not, it could be temporary... I've used Hostmonster before and they're very reliable. I hope you'll get your files!

.trash folder is empty. The files are nowhere. I find this extremely odd - this was their response to the ticket I logged:
The only thing that can delete all those files would be 2 things One a File system Rebuild or someone got in and compromised your account and deleted those files. Now I checked if the server had gone under a files system rebuild and that hasn't append. So the only other way is someone either hacked your site or got your login credentials and deleted those files. If you have a backup we would be happy to help you restore it.
.trash folder is empty.

If someone compromised my account, would they deliberately leave all the folders (for each site) and just delete all the files except the favicon files? Add in there is NOTHING unusual in the logs.

i stop using them a while back, they have a lot issues!

And this contributed how?

I noticed some of the sites have a "hosted by Hostmonster" page but in the middle a parked page by bhdefaulthosting.com - is that HostMonster's parking service?

Last edited:

ohkus

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tell them to restore from backups?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any backups and tech support didn't volunteer any of that. Luckily I have backups of most of my sites (only 2 didn't and 1 wa sa WP site).

When I get the last two back up and running I'll back them up at home.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Had a similar thing happen with hostmonster - they did a file system rebuild and it all went well but one website - it was completely gone but it's folder, an .ico file and their default.html.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
make sure you police the account and don't get re-upped

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom