Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

When are we going to see this kind of groundbreaking domain auction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The bubble came and the bubble went. That was then, and this is now - and the times they are a-changing. This industry is marching ahead and not looking back. So,...

One thing I've been wondering is this: great paintings and similar global treasures sell at the world's famous live auction houses such as Sotheby's, etc., where the bidding often reaches staggering proportions, the bidders are qualified to be there (or on the phone!), and publicity often abounds.

Now don't get me wrong - I'm most certainly an ardent friend and supporter of the online model, as my current signature line will also attest, but...

When are we going to see this kind of live-in-the-flesh auction for some of the world's greatest domains? Should we see it? Would it not possibly garner such abundant advance publicity as to produce chart-topping sales? For instance, if George Kirikos decided one day that he wanted to market Math.com in this way, would it not easily produce some rather gratifying seven-figure bidding before he even had time to file the contract? And certainly other examples abound. What do you think?

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good question ... it wouldn't take much to make it reality ...

1. Spread the word among domainers that high quality, high value domains are being sought for auction.

2. Scan through the submissions and weed out the obvious nonsense/low value domains, etc.

3. Individually contact the registrants of the top few hundred or so high quality domains and have them submit additional information; background checks or whatever to better ensure they're serious sellers.

From that point forward it should be relatively straight forward - basically performing the various steps typically required for organizing high-end auction; not sure exactly what those steps are, but should be relatively simple assuming a high quality collection of domains for sale can be compiled.

In a nutshell, the real key is getting a bunch sellers with select, high quality, high value domains willing to auction them ... from there things will likely fall in to place relatively easily.

Ron

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www said:
When are we going to see this kind of live-in-the-flesh auction for some of the world's greatest domains? Should we see it?

If you were at Traffic last year, you would have seen it! It already happened!

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
MediaHound said:
If you were at Traffic last year, you would have seen it! It already happened!

That's certainly a good start! Some day, however, I'd like to turn on the evening news and find myself on the receiving end of a prime time account of something like a music.com and such being auctioned right alongside the Picassos, the Da Vinci manuscripts, the ancient sculptures, historical heirlooms, etc., as part of a new era for domains in the mainstream.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
people,
this sounds like born again domainers.
the domain business isnt a religion.
sh*t happens everywere, including in this business.
now, we can anal yze why shit happens. and it is an interesting subject.
the thing is, has shit happened? will it happen again?
play your game.
:)

bocajohnh

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www said:
That's certainly a good start! Some day, however, I'd like to turn on the evening news and find myself on the receiving end of a prime time account of something like a music.com and such being auctioned right alongside the Picassos, the Da Vinci manuscripts, the ancient sculptures, historical heirlooms, etc., as part of a new era for domains in the mainstream.
Excellent idea! This forum might be a great place to organize such an idea. What are YOU currently doing now to move this concept forward and how can we help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom