Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

When to sell unwanted and expiring domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deski2001

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have several domains that will expire in a few months, and I decided to remove some domains from my portfolio.

When is the best time to sell these unwanted and expiring domains in order to get a decent price? I know by experience that selling domains that are expiring in less than a month can be so painful , knowing how much it was sold for.Once I have auctioned my expiring domain ( expired in 3 days) with starting price of $0.01 and sold for $0.06

Any suggestions? or we just let them dropped?

Thank you

Last edited:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i wouldn't know how or what, one would consider a "decent price" for "unwanted and expiring domains"?

so i guess it's whatever you can get

:rolleyes:

i typically just let them expire and watch the bidding wars at snap and namejet.

since the domains have been expensed....it's no biggie to let em drop.

though it's funny when you see the same names with bids on them, which are higher than the offers you may have received.

imo...

Melly

Pink Lover!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It depends on the domain. If you really think they aren't worth much then getting any amount is better than expiring. Place the entire lot for like $20 or whatever depending on how many domains there are. For most people if they have to pay for the renewal they will only buy the domain if they have plans for it unless its super cheap.

But of course I have priced domains at 50 cents and then no one purchased them and then later they was purchased for much higher from one of the sites that sell dropped domains.

floname

Hopeless Domainiac
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think its funny. The mentality that occurs at the drop engines. Its like the monkey see - monkey do syndrome. When someone owns a domain that isn't worth the renewal fee, then try to sell it off to recoup something on it & can't find any takers. Then it hits the drop. If one person shows even a shred of interest, its amazing how many others follow. The bidding war begins & 1 mans trash is suddenly this highly coveted asset. I think the bidding goes up because if there's any doubt about that name, a competing bidder tends to reaffirm the "perceived" value. I think the only winners in this situation are the dropengines - IMHO

If I have any last minute fluff to cut from the portfolio, I will usually put a few together & list them at ebay. I might even sweeten the lot with a domain or two that have a few months left, but that just aren't moving. I have found that your listing gets a lot more attention if you just use keywords in the auction title. Something like - "domain names" or "domain name lot". If you can get a buyer into the listing, they'll often times at least read the list. Enough monkeys get involved, you might make a buck or two.

deski2001

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you biggedon, Pink Misfit, floname for all your inputs.

I might try to list my unwanted domains at ebay as a lot next weekend and start with low price e.g. $ 0.99 and also, as floname suggested, to include one or a few names that still have more months left to attract buyers/bidders. But I'll also let some of them dropped.

The problem on listing at ebay is that most buyers prefer to have their domains at Godaddy and they will not bid even you have good names and you also need to know when the best time to list your domains there. I listed one name for three times before it was sold at mid $XX.

i wouldn't know how or what, one would consider a "decent price" for "unwanted and expiring domains"?

so i guess it's whatever you can get

:rolleyes:

i typically just let them expire and watch the bidding wars at snap and namejet.

since the domains have been expensed....it's no biggie to let em drop.

though it's funny when you see the same names with bids on them, which are higher than the offers you may have received.

imo...

I am curious about this, Why are many people tends to participate on expired domain bidding war?, where were they when we tried to sell it at cheaper price and has not been dropped?

Thanks everyone.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this too. It seems no one is interested in my domains, even when offered under the $20 expiring heading, then when they drop they are bought up right away. Is it my marketing is at fault, or are they bought at far less than $20 on the drop?

How can I check the drop auctions, as Biggedon mentioned above?

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about this too. It seems no one is interested in my domains, even when offered under the $20 expiring heading, then when they drop they are bought up right away. Is it my marketing is at fault, or are they bought at far less than $20 on the drop?

I see it all the time - don't forget a lot of these people just look at drop lists and never come here. I've seen names I couldn't sell for $5 go on auctions for over $150 when they dropped. I don't know if I should have laughed or cried. :) :(

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, I would be pleased if I thought it a vindication of my ability to pick good names, but not so pleased if I thought other fools like myself had bought them. :)

DTalk

DomainMan
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see it all the time - don't forget a lot of these people just look at drop lists and never come here. I've seen names I couldn't sell for $5 go on auctions for over $150 when they dropped. I don't know if I should have laughed or cried. :) :(

Ain't that the truth...!!?

I've had offers from $100 to $100,000 for the SAME domain, too... Lol

The more I see of this game, the more I KNOW everything's as nutty as a fruitcake...

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there was a place people flocked to sell their unwanted crap , it was called bido, it's now closed
you could try namepros, the same people selling and buying the crap at bido sell the crap there now lol

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
there was a place people flocked to sell their unwanted crap , it was called bido, it's now closed
you could try namepros, the same people selling and buying the crap at bido sell the crap there now lol

Speaking for myself, I don't have any 'unwanted crap.' I do have domains I like less now than when I bought them, or ones that time has shown it might have been unwise to buy.

On the other hand, some of the domains I've sold I was just about to drop. So the story is not a straightforward one by any means.

There is a lot of helpful advice on this forum, but there are also comments made in a rather patronising manner seemingly for the sake of making them. As with domains, one has to learn how to sort out the wheat from the chaff.

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have let over 800 domains drop and watched them i auction and i am glad to say only one went for $80 the rest didnt make the minimum,now i realize why i don;t make much money in domaining ;-)

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have let over 800 domains drop and watched them i auction and i am glad to say only one went for $80 the rest didnt make the minimum,now i realize why i don;t make much money in domaining ;-)

How do you get to watch the drop auctions? Are auctions always at the registrar, or somewhere else?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How do you get to watch the drop auctions? Are auctions always at the registrar, or somewhere else?

if you search in Google for your expired names, and its in an auction or on a backorder list, it may come up in the search.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom