Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Where do you go to get ideas for new domain name registrations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nohbdyduzitbetta

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My income is limited, so I am always looking for opportunities to purchase good domain names at reg fee.

It seems that new products/services/technologies could generate domain registration ideas, but where do you go to read about these new products or services? Are there certain websites, publications, etc, you go to to learn about these new products and services?

For example, I learned about led dog leashes from reading a newspaper article online, but it took a considerable amount of time to find this article.

So if you don't mind sharing, where do you go to find out about new products and services that could lead to registering domain names in those areas? Thank you!

<tbody>
</tbody>

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Everywhere, the news, books, magazines, store signs, street signs.

Open your imagination and look around, everything is potential domain name!

Adam Dicker

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Heck I got about five or six ideas for domain names just reading this thread...lol

the ideas are everywhere but the secret is to be picky and make sure its worth much more than reg fees.

Good Luck.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Twilight Zone... not joking. I extrapolate data from the past and design specified metrics for the future. :) I also subscribe to Wired, Technology Review, and Entrepreneurs. There are a few sites that I receive rss feeds that have been useful. But I'm in the tech field mostly- its what I enjoy. Every niche is different however- none of this would be useful tips if your industry were dental per se.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's much better to find a niche and exploit it, instead of always trying to think of new trends/ideas.
agreed except think niche coupled with New trends and ideas..such as nicheApps.com or nicheBlog.com there are many you can think of.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
agreed except think niche coupled with New trends and ideas..such as nicheApps.com or nicheBlog.com there are many you can think of.

Well yeah that's what I mean really. If you have a deeper understanding about a certain niche, identifying new trends/keywords within that niche is easier and you will have a better idea about the value of the domain name.

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it's much better to find a niche and exploit it, instead of always trying to think of new trends/ideas.
I agree with this, predictive domaining is cool but most of the time the resulting regs will not pan out well. Many of those trends will not materialize or will take a different turn.

Some tricks for finding domains:

Look at expiring domains and spot those that are registered and developed in many other extensions, then you may have a few possible end users. Go for generics and 2-word combos, not TMs of course.

Look at domains that are advertised and that you're exposed to throughout the day, then search for better alternatives.

Avoid domains that you wouldn't develop.

Focus on industries you're familiar with.

I still have other tricks up my sleeve but here you are.

Too many domainers speculate on domains that 'might' be worth something in the future, but the odds are actually slim if not zero.
The trick is to spot the domains that are already worth something today.

You say your income is limited, that's why you need to spend wisely. It's not easy to find a hand reg and flip it for a good profit. But if you are willing to put up $69 on a decent expired domain at Namejet you might be able to resell it for mid-/high $$$ within a year. At least it works for me. The quality is usually to be found on the aftermarket.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom