Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Where have all the domains gone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjlever

Boa Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I’ve only been in this business for under a year but have already noticed significant change in the amount of domain names available at SnapNames and TDNAM. I’m not sure if this because of a seasonal trend (i.e. people buy less names in the fall/winter months and thus less expire during these months). Or, if the lack of names is indicative of a larger positive trend for the domain industry. I have also noticed the quality of drops has dropped in the past year. I’m leaning towards the larger picture vice the seasonal based on the recent sellout of 4-letter dot coms. Something I thought would not happen (the quality was just too bad). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If all of this is a part of a larger positive trend can someone advise if they have seen confirming evidence in the sales volume of low priced domains (<$1,000)? I see the prices increasing on true premium names but to validate that domains are experiencing broad based growth there should be an increase in the volume of low priced domains. I’m not seeing that in my portfolio and I cannot find stats on line for this type of information. Can people help provide this fundamental evidence of broad growth in the domain industry i.e. sales volume vice just isolated higher pricing on a few scarce generic names?<o:p></o:p>

dnol

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this should be at least a thesis can make

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I’ve only been in this business for under a year but have already noticed significant change in the amount of domain names available at SnapNames and TDNAM. I’m not sure if this because of a seasonal trend (i.e. people buy less names in the fall/winter months and thus less expire during these months). Or, if the lack of names is indicative of a larger positive trend for the domain industry. I have also noticed the quality of drops has dropped in the past year. I’m leaning towards the larger picture vice the seasonal based on the recent sellout of 4-letter dot coms. Something I thought would not happen (the quality was just too bad). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
If all of this is a part of a larger positive trend can someone advise if they have seen confirming evidence in the sales volume of low priced domains (<$1,000)? I see the prices increasing on true premium names but to validate that domains are experiencing broad based growth there should be an increase in the volume of low priced domains. I’m not seeing that in my portfolio and I cannot find stats on line for this type of information. Can people help provide this fundamental evidence of broad growth in the domain industry i.e. sales volume vice just isolated higher pricing on a few scarce generic names?<o:p></o:p>

there was a time when you could register any domain, from l.com to LL.com to LLL.com to the now gone... LLLL.com

only a year or so ago you could still register LLL.biz domains, then someone bought all the rest of those.

So now you should be registering the (lol) "premium" LLLLL.com, if this pattern is destined to continue?

As you can see, there is a thriving newbie market for "L-L-L.com".
Expect "L-L-L-L.com" to be next

imo, the reason behind increases in premo generic values is because the owners have been pitching these names to wallstreet, rather than to other domainers, as in the past.

for a couple of years many good names changed hands often, and slowly they started to get sold-out of the reseller market.
news of these sales woke others up and they are now holding names and up-ing the prices.

this causes other lower level markets to open up, such as the LLLL.com and L-L-L.com and .mobi

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You don't sleep in domain business, so you won't miss it.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons is that the registrars have stopped dropping good domains and keep them for themselves. They only throw out the scraps to the hungry dogs. This has been going on for a long time now and is getting worse. Even netsol is starting to keep domains now. Soon all of the good domains will be taken by those who have developed sites, domainers and the registrars. All good generic domains dropped from lack of renewal will just be kept by the registrars. Until ICANN puts a stop to these actions by the registrars, expect this trend to get much worse.

Devil Dog

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons is that the registrars have stopped dropping good domains and keep them for themselves. They only throw out the scraps to the hungry dogs. This has been going on for a long time now and is getting worse. Even netsol is starting to keep domains now. Soon all of the good domains will be taken by those who have developed sites, domainers and the registrars. All good generic domains dropped from lack of renewal will just be kept by the registrars. Until ICANN puts a stop to these actions by the registrars, expect this trend to get much worse.

Word. I noticed a direct correlation to the quality of names dropping and the arrival of namejet.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep. Expect to see 'NS Holding' as the registrant in a lot of good domains from now on. ICANN needs to get their head out and do something. Enom has thousands of great domains locked up as they were the first I think to start doing this and it now appears ALL of them do it.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Word. I noticed a direct correlation to the quality of names dropping and the arrival of namejet.
Indeed. I used to order at least a few names at netsol everyday (based on their lists). Now with namejet you have more names in their lists but they are rubbish.
BTW it's the same with tucows.
The dropcatchers are no longer a source for good expired names it seems.

rjlever

Boa Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hear what people are saying but it leaves me with an uncomfortable feeling. If registrars are simple hoarding quality names it does not provide positive light that this rise in prices we are seeing is representative of a broad based gain in the underlying value of domain names. Although registrars are validating by their actions that they see more future value in domains then the current market place is willing to offer.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
We need strong volume and price appreciation to validate that this business is for real. Otherwise we have a very narrow playing field for super prime names. A game many people are not capable of playing. If this model is true (only super primes are rising in value) then a lot of domainers are going to hear a sucking sound in their pocketbook as low quality names siphon off money waiting for a broad based tide to raise all boats.

sweetfunny

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons is that the registrars have stopped dropping good domains and keep them for themselves.

Where i come from i'm pretty sure this would be insider trading, and as such an offence but the domain industry is the wild wild west.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom