Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Where to get a Domain Appraisal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juggernaut

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was wondering who would be your top domain appraisal providers.

I know through some reading here that a lot of people have a lot of opinions on domain appraisals, but generally speaking who can give an appraisal that is generally accepted?

I am asking about professional companies and not free appraisals although I am a fan of estibot and valuate.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No automated/manual appraisal you get will have any value.

If you want an appraisal to pump up your ego than you can waste money anywhere.
If you want an appraisal to impress a potential investor, none will be impressed by an appraisal.
If you want an appraisal to help sell the domain, that won't convince a buyer to spend more.

I am hoping you get the message about appraisals.

... short of that you can read this article on appraisals:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Domain-Appraisals---Are-They-Really-Worth-Paying-For?&id=4490098

-=DCG=-

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How could you forget about this, DCG?

http://www.dnforum.com/f4/

Seriously. You generally won't get BS anwers. When you pay companies for appraisals, they'll tell you what you want to hear (so you'll go back to them). Free ones aren't too reliable.

Posting in that forum will let experienced domainers see the domain and give an honest opinion on the domain, you'll get ranges not exacts since every situation is different. You'll also get a range of opinions on it depending on how they see the domain.

DC20

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Definitely. If you are wanting an appraisal for your own thoughts, then here is best and not likely to give you false expectations of a lemon. Always keep in mind an end user may pay more, but the answers you get here is more dependable cash in your pocket.

DC20

Juggernaut

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies,

I am actually buying a domain and had several options. I wanted to get them appraised and see which is the best for me.

I dont own the domains so I cant post on that forum.

Any other suggestions?

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you PM me I will try to give you an accurate and honest appraisal and tell you what I believe the domains are worth.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am actually buying a domain and had several options. I wanted to get them appraised and see which is the best for me.
The real value of a domain name is what an end user is willing to pay.

Why do you want to appraise a name ?
Are you afraid of overpaying ?
Do you need an appraisal to negotiate a better price ?
Do you intend to resell the name and want to make sure you will be able to resell at a profit ?

Very often sellers have unrealistic expectations when it comes to pricing. But they won't be impressed by an appraisal (which probably is done by an automated tool).

Once I had a buyer who countered with two appraisals he had ordered to coax me into lowering the price on a domain. I told him I don't care about those appraisals, you don't even know how they are computed and what kind of methodology was applied. The resulting figures are meaningless.

Juggernaut

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The real value of a domain name is what an end user is willing to pay.
yes this is understood but what are the all the end users are willing to pay for xyz.com?
Why do you want to appraise a name ?
because I am buying a domain and dont want to over pay for it
Are you afraid of overpaying ?
yup
Do you need an appraisal to negotiate a better price ?
not really, I do believe that an owner of something can sell it at any price they like, it just would be easier for me to take the money out my pocket when I know its actual worth
Do you intend to resell the name and want to make sure you will be able to resell at a profit ?
nope
Very often sellers have unrealistic expectations when it comes to pricing. But they won't be impressed by an appraisal (which probably is done by an automated tool).

Once I had a buyer who countered with two appraisals he had ordered to coax me into lowering the price on a domain. I told him I don't care about those appraisals, you don't even know how they are computed and what kind of methodology was applied. The resulting figures are meaningless.

So what do you suggest?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you want go ahead and post the names here and people can appraise them, we can bend the rules a bit as this is a legitimate reason to appraise domains that don't belong to you.

-=DCG=-

Juggernaut

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, the domains are:

myequipment.com
equipment.eu
machine.eu
machines.eu

I am mostly interested in the equipment.eu one. The current price is at 10k eur. What do you think?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am mostly interested in the equipment.eu one. The current price is at 10k eur. What do you think?

At 10k it's overpriced, I would say value is 1-3k. That said if you have a million dollar development idea and can recoup money withing 3 years it's a good investment.

If you have no plans but like the name, it's overpriced.

-=DCG=-

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks, the domains are:

myequipment.com
equipment.eu
machine.eu
machines.eu

The .eu kills it. I don't think I'd pay even $100 for it. Worthless in my eyes. The same with the other domains. My 2 cents..

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .eu kills it. I don't think I'd pay even $100 for it. Worthless in my eyes. The same with the other domains. My 2 cents..
agree. Plus, you have an english word with the euopean extension. Had it been in German, it might be worth something. But the Germans are more prone to go with .de.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.eu names are not very valuable.
I'm with Adam, low $,$$$ for equipment.eu is justified if you have a business plan for it. But personally I would try other options.

I see myequipment.com is with mostwanteddomains, I doubt it will be cheap.
If you have a budget between 1 and 10K you should be able to get a decent domain. At least with a .com or a strong ccTLD you will probably get some type-in traffic.

lilian

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
no where you can find appraisal that is generally accepted.

if have equipment.com already or plan to sell domain then you can choose equipment .eu.
otherwise to build a website I prefer myequipment.com

RMG

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You have HumanValuation.com...

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This thread is definitively funny. Everybody first saying domains cannot be appraised and after each one wanting to know what are these names to give an appraisal ... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom