Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Which big-time domainer got UrbanBikeProject.org?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A nonprofit in my area, Urban Bike Project, which does wonderful work for the community, somehow failed to renew its .org domain in November.

A domainer snapped it up through TDNAM for about $400 - probably a fairly big-time domainer, as it's now directed to Frank Schilling's InternetTraffic.com, which (as I understand it) is used mainly by industry heavyweights.

The whois shows GoDaddy privacy, and no reply came when I emailed that privacy address. Meanwhile, the domain is being offered for $8,800(!) through GoDaddy Premium.

I know this is a familiar story - a small-time organization's domain, with a bit of traffic, gets drop-caught when they accidentally don't renew it. But when that nonprofit is one I've dealt with, the whole story seems nastier: the failure to answer inquiries, the absurdly high asking price ... all for a domain that has little value to the new owner. (Whatever traffic it gets will die out almost completely if the organization is forced to start using a different domain, which it will certainly do rather than pay many thousands for the old one. I will personally work with them to make sure the backlinks get changed to their new domain.)

Any of you happen to be the proud owner of this domain, or have any clue how I can find out who is? Thanks.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Justin (Rockefeller) can usually find out. Not sure if he is still doing it, but was charging $50 a year or 2 ago. If all else fails, a UDRP should go pretty smoothly.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Justin (Rockefeller) can usually find out. Not sure if he is still doing it, but was charging $50 a year or 2 ago. If all else fails, a UDRP should go pretty smoothly.

Thanks for the input. I doubt this tiny organization would have the time, money, or stomach for a UDRP. They'll probably just start using the .com (which they've registered) in place of the lost .org, but it'll be a hassle to update everyone's links, email addresses, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom