Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Which is preferred in the UK. .co.uk or .com?

Status
Not open for further replies.

friday

Half way there :)
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was searching various terms in the UK based Overture suggestion tool. http://inventory.uk.overture.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

Much to my surprise I discovered that for every term searched including the .com or .co.uk, that the .com always had more searches done than the .co.uk with in some instance with no searches done for the domain in .co.uk.

Well, my question is this. Doesn't internet users in the UK prefer .co.uk over .com. This is what I always believed. But my findings are quite the opposite. Anyone in the UK care to comment? Does anyone have both versions of a domain name in both .co.uk and .com? Is there any correlation between the two?Thanks.

jquail

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.co.uk is used by a few companies though, and businesses dont seem to worry about using .co.uk if .com is taken.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.co.uk and even .org.uk are becoming more popular in th UK but it's probably true that, where possible, a company would chose both .com and .co.uk for their business Internet presence.

M

mole

I think .co.uk names are great, I get a steady stream of type-ins on mine. Only problem is, I don't know how I can get many of those names transfered over to eNom. Seems like you can't, eNom won't accept them or something.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Enom are unable to accept transfers at the moment, which is a pain in the neck - more of a pain in the neck is the Nominet £30+ ($54.42) ownership transfer charge!

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
I think .co.uk names are great, I get a steady stream of type-ins on mine. Only problem is, I don't know how I can get many of those names transfered over to eNom. Seems like you can't, eNom won't accept them or something.

Mole, i'd be interested in seeing you .co.uk list if you plan on selling any?

Its interesting what Webname said about .org.uk, i've never seen any value in these but i just got creditcards.org.uk and seem to be getting a load of typeins.

I think its true what y'all say, if the .com is gone then the .co.uk is fine.

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Google.co.uk

.com 9,230,000
.co.uk 9,760,000
.org.uk 3,790,000

:-D

M

mole

DeCal said:
Mole, i'd be interested in seeing you .co.uk list if you plan on selling any?

Sell? Seems like it costs more money to sell .co.uk names than to buy them :-D

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Btw Decal.. that's interesting! I have a ton of generic .org.uk's & only one that I know of (enterprise.org.uk) receives any decent traffic. (About 80/month).

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Agree.
Choose both.

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyphix said:
Btw Decal.. that's interesting! I have a ton of generic .org.uk's & only one that I know of (enterprise.org.uk) receives any decent traffic. (About 80/month).

Yeah i agree, never expected anything off it... :-D

Mole, I know there is a £30 transfer fee but if you have any names you wanna get rid of then drop me an email or PM

Regards

Dean

Garry Anderson

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Some companies prefer showing their business location.

e.g. The BBC paid a lot of money for bbc.COM - but they still use bbc.CO.UK.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.co.uk domains do get typeins. For example, my html.co.uk, guitartabs.co.uk, youthhostels.co.uk all get quite a bit of traffic (10-40 daily visitors)

DeCal

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
.co.uk domains do get typeins. For example, my html.co.uk, guitartabs.co.uk, youthhostels.co.uk all get quite a bit of traffic (10-40 daily visitors)

Hey Edwin,

I'd be interested in youthhostels.co.uk at the right price if its forsale?

unclewilco

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
my main site readersheds.co.uk gets the most traffic but readersheds.com seems to getting a steady lot of refers over the past 3-4 months.. but iam sticking with both.!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom