Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Which Registrar is Currently Best for BULK

Status
Not open for further replies.

EffectiveNames.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My portfolio has roughly 2000 domains and growing rapidly but I am unhappy with my current registrar, ResellOne.net - they've gone to Hell since ThePlanet.com purchased them.

What registrars should I be looking at as an alternative?

My main concern is price, at this scale every cent counts.

I would also like to avoid nickel and diming nonsense such as surcharges when funding my account, I prefer clear pricing.

Their system needs to be suited to bulk changes - I'm don't want to have to change stuff, such as contact details or name servers, one domain at a time. The dashboard/interface needs to be usable, not overwhelmed by the number of domains. Also, they need to have a sane system for handling a huge amount of initial transfers.

I only do .COMs, so, the pricing and availability of other TLDs is not a factor for me.

I don't need much support or hand-holding but it would be good to know that the company are competent behind the scenes.

I understand that this is an extremely broad question but I would greatly appreciate any advice and opinions you'd be willing to share - I want to find a registrar that I can stick with for good.

Last edited:

EffectiveNames.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Dmyre, thanks for the link.

One strange thing I notice about Dynadot is that they charge MORE for transfers in than they do for new registrations and renewals - very odd, most companies are anxious to win new business, if there is a difference in price between transfers and renewals, it is usually the transfers that are slightly cheaper.

Even at Super Bulk level ($5000 initial deposit by wire), transfers in are $7.99 each, whereas registrations and renewals are $7.75, slightly more expensive than ResellOne.

Do you use these guys yourself? Is their system suited to managing large portfolios?

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Fabulous ?
You should be able to apply for a wholesale account with that many domains.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
With 2k domains you get Tier 1 pricing which is really great. Contact mike @ fabulous.

EffectiveNames.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Fabulous ?
You should be able to apply for a wholesale account with that many domains.

With 2k domains you get Tier 1 pricing which is really great. Contact mike @ fabulous.

Thanks Katherine and Acro - I did look at Fabulous earlier, but the website seemed to suggest that I would need 5000+ domains to get the $7.99 Tier 1 pricing and, frankly, the prices at other tiers just aren't competitive. If, however, they have been known to lower the barrier a bit, well, that brings them back into consideration.

What I've learnt so far from my research today is:

1. Many reputable registrars will charge less for your initial transfer in, in one case as low as $4.99 per .COM inc. all ICANN fees, but you lose on later years, only worthwhile if you have the time and patience to transfer back out again before the first year is through.

2. "Real" prices seem to start at $7.65 but a couple at around $7.99 seem to offer enough extra functionality to warrant the extra cash - Fabulous would certainly be very interesting at that price, as is NetEarth One's reseller scheme for different reasons. Anything above $8, however, seems hard to justify if you are paying for thousands of domains, but please do correct me if I am missing something.

3. A lot of previously highly-regarded registrars seem to have collectively used the recent Verisign price rise as an excuse to cash in and increase their charges way more than the 7% that was actually added to their actual cost for .COMs. The across the board disproportionate jump in prices seems to suggest that some sort of cosy consensus was reached across the registration business. It will be interesting to see what will happen if Godaddy does actually manage to sell itself for a billion - will the sudden prospect of a big payout spark competition once again and persuade the registrars to chase market share rather than immediate profits?

If anyone else has any registrar suggestions, please do share them.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Personally I have many domains at Dynadot too, if you spend $5000 right away or within a 365-day period you have super bulk pricing which means .com at $7.75/year for example.
Fabulous is my favorite but Dynadot has a better control panel imo.

I know there are cheaper alternatives around but I sleep better at night knowing my registrar is still making a profit (albeit a small one) and running a sustainable business.

PS: the registry charges $7.34 for .com domains.

EffectiveNames.com

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Personally I have many domains at Dynadot too, if you spend $5000 right away or within a 365-day period you have super bulk pricing which means .com at $7.75/year for example.

The thing that irks me about Dynadot is the ridiculous decision to charge more, not less, for transfers in, that is completely insane in competitive terms. Honestly, having dived deep into what the different registrars offer, I am stunned at the unusual decisions I keep coming across. In most industries, there tends to be a continual drift towards best practises but in domain registration it is almost as if every registrar exists in their own bubble, pioneering their own wildly unique quirks, with complete disregard for what might actually be empirically better, oblivious to how many potential customers they are losing.

I have, however, used their control panel and I agree, it is very good.

Fabulous is my favorite but Dynadot has a better control panel imo.

Well, I have emailed Mike @ Fabulous but haven't heard anything back yet. I think they would be my favorite, but only if they agree to let me in on Tier 1, $7.99 is definitely at the high end for me.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The thing that irks me about Dynadot is the ridiculous decision to charge more, not less, for transfers in, that is completely insane in competitive terms.
Hmm that is strange indeed.

Nathan King

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.com's are $7.69/year with the GoDaddy discount domain club. Membership costs $90/year. More info -> here.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
with 2000+ you should be able to negotiate with most of the registrars a decent deal for your .com domains. However you should make sure that the registrar still makes a profit, otherwise you might end up with more headaches then the savings are worth.

HeyVic

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I see this question was posted quite some time ago, but it is still a relavent question and the marketplace has changed a bit over the past two years.

Therefore, I suggest the ICANN Accredited Registrar "Above.com" for bulk domain business. Above.com owns its own registrar platform, and is not dependent upon any 3rd party provider, such as a LogicBox. Therefore Above.com is designed for large portfolios. When it comes to large portfolios, "size does matter". When your registrar requires you to group your portfolio in small batches to update or register, because their system can not handle the big transactions - think of the time you are burning. Time that you cannot get back.

I am available if you have any questions about Above.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom