Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Who is considered (by Registrars) as the Owner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would be interested to know who is considered to be the
owner of a domain with a legitimate reason to ask for an auth code of
a domain ?. Is such answer enshrined in ICANN procedures somewhere
so that it is known by ALL registrars ,or is it up to each Registrar to
make their own rules up as they go along ?. Is there any legitimate reason
for a Registrar to send an auth code to the person detailed on the
WHOIS as the owner ?.

Thanks
DG

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I once had an issue with a dropped domain, I entered the wrong email address and never got an authorization code.

I called the registrar and they asked me, to prove that I was the owner of the domain, if they could call me on the phone number listed on the WhoIs information. They didn't tell me what the number was, just that they were going to call it and I agreed. This was a good way to verify ownership since it is not easy to redirect phone calls (you'll need to be physically at the phone that has that number to redirect them).

They called me within a minute and we finished the transaction.

This is also a good reason to make sure your WhoIs information is accurate (including phone number, I see too many with (area code) 555-1212 (US number for information).

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hmm, perhaps I should get a job with Information ?.
DG

I once had an issue with a dropped domain, I entered the wrong email address and never got an authorization code.

I called the registrar and they asked me, to prove that I was the owner of the domain, if they could call me on the phone number listed on the WhoIs information. They didn't tell me what the number was, just that they were going to call it and I agreed. This was a good way to verify ownership since it is not easy to redirect phone calls (you'll need to be physically at the phone that has that number to redirect them).

They called me within a minute and we finished the transaction.

This is also a good reason to make sure your WhoIs information is accurate (including phone number, I see too many with (area code) 555-1212 (US number for information).

Mediamarket

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Registrars seem to make this one up but ICANN does require that it made easily available to the owner.

Legal owner would be the listed registrant but registrars as a rule seem to provide either to registrant, admin and/or the primary contact for the registrar account depending on their own specific policies.

domaingenius

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Registrars seem to make this one up but ICANN does require that it made easily available to the owner.

Legal owner would be the listed registrant but registrars as a rule seem to provide either to registrant, admin and/or the primary contact for the registrar account depending on their own specific policies.

Thanks and noted. Well I did post in another part of this forum about Aim High Inc dba GetYerName.com (Industry Leaders section) and it seems that the owner, Vincent Hamm, has in past be involved with same type of practices in various capacities.

DG

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Legal owner would be the listed registrant

You might think that.

The cosmic goof here is that the registrar accreditation agreement refers to a "registered name holder" instead of a "registrant".

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom