Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond
Status
Not open for further replies.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is a name dropping soon which I see listed at both NameJet and Snapnames. The current registrar is GoDaddy. The same name is not on TDNAM, but, of course, can be "backordered" at GoDaddy.

So what is the best way to get that name? Does GoDaddy backorders get priority or do they fall in the drop to everyone?

Domain Days 2024

jheinz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If GoDaddy is the registrar you are best to backorder it because if there is a backorder they won’t “drop” it to the public it will go right to auction. They also have an agreement with Network Solutions for .com names so if a domain is registered with Network Solutions and backordered with GoDaddy it will go right to TDAM instead of being dropped to the public.

The only downside is if the domain is really good and it’s registered with GoDaddy it might not drop at all. They might just take it and park it for awhile to test the revenue.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It will probably go to tdnam as an auction. Everything I let drop from godaddy ends up there. All the backorder does is automatically bid (once) for you.

pen

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Go Daddy names will go to auction on TDNAM. Putting a backorder on it through Go Daddy will give you first dibs should it make it through the auction without any action.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So if it is backordered, it won't actually make it to Snapnames or NameJet or whomever? But it still goes to auction rather than just given to the first person to backorder?

Okay, this now gets better and better. I did a backorder only to find out, "No updates made. Another customer currently has a backorder on this domain."

Yet it isn't on TDNAM's list. Does this mean the GD staff is keeping names for themselves again? Why do they make you pay for a backorder if the name is already backordered?

Last edited:

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So if it is backordered, it won't actually make it to Snapnames or NameJet or whomever? But it still goes to auction rather than just given to the first person to backorder?

Okay, this now gets better and better. I did a backorder only to find out, "No updates made. Another customer currently has a backorder on this domain."

Yet it isn't on TDNAM's list. Does this mean the GD staff is keeping names for themselves again? Why do they make you pay for a backorder if the name is already backordered?

Correct.

edit: missed the part about another backorder. Watch whois, see what happens. Outbid them at tdnam if it eventually does drop.

jheinz

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It’s telling you that you don’t need to bother with a backorder because someone already expressed interested in the domain so it’s automatically going to go to TDAM.

The only reason GoDaddy allows you to “backorder” is so they know which ones not to let drop to the public so they can put it right into auction.
Originally, the back order system was setup where just one person would backorder a domain at a registrar and if the registrar was able to get that domain in the drop it would go to the customer that backordered it but the registrars realized they were leaving a lot of money on the table giving domains away at $50 per back order when they could auction them for $100+ each and take that profit. Now there are so many backdoor deals (like GoDaddy and Network Solutions) that any good domain won’t drop to the public it will go right to an auction.

Now really good domains will probably never drop because the registrar will just park it. It might be the case that GoDaddy will taste it first, just have to keep an eye on it and see if it goes to auction.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It might be the case that GoDaddy will taste it first, just have to keep an eye on it and see if it goes to auction.

So basically I just kissed my backorder money goodbye since there was no way to know the name was allegedly backordered by another party (or kept by the registrar) until after I paid for it?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Check the domain status... is it pending-delete ? Then the name is dropping. If it was just expired it would be available at Tdnam first. Now your best bet is to backorder at several places and cross fingers. A GD backorder for a drop is useless most of the time, try at least snap & pool.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you backorder a GD name it will go to TDNAM.

-=DCG=-

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The name may have already been on TDNAM and not bought and is now going through the drop process waiting to be picked up by snap & namejet....I have seen this before...I forgot to bid on a name at tdnam...could of had it under $10 at TDNAM..missed it and paid $60 at snap.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you backorder a GD name it will go to TDNAM. -=DCG=-

How long does it take before it shows up in TDNAM, Adam? It is supposed to drop in two days. So if there is a backorder, are your saying it definitely will NOT go to Snap, Namejet or whomever?

If one person already backordered it before me, can I get a refund on my backorder money since there was no way to know without paying first?

Man, I miss the old Snap.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The only downside is if the domain is really good and it’s registered with GoDaddy it might not drop at all. They might just take it and park it for awhile to test the revenue.

That's not true, if there is a backorder placed it goes to TDNAM.

Sometimes it goes to TDNAM, then nobody bids and it goes back to the registry.

-=DCG=-

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's not true, if there is a backorder placed it goes to TDNAM. -=DCG=-

So then --

How long does it take before it shows up in TDNAM, Adam? It is supposed to drop in two days. So if there is a backorder, are your saying it definitely will NOT go to Snap, Namejet or whomever?

If one person already backordered it before me, can I get a refund on my backorder money since there was no way to know without paying first?

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Checking this for you.

-=DCG=-

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Checking this for you. -=DCG=-

In Reply to your Post 1511965:Hello-

I am the Dir. of Executive Accounts at Go Daddy and I can help you with any questions you have in regards to backorders that you placed. If someone at Go Daddy had already placed a backorder on a name at Go Daddy, our system is setup not to allow anyone else to place a backorder.

If you backorder a name at another registrar, we have no way to determine if a back order was placed. In the event the name is awarded to someone else with a backorder, and you have a backorder for the name, you can apply a different domain name to the backorder, or we can refund the backorder for you.

If you have more questions or need help, you can call the Go Daddy Executive Accounts group at 480 505-8885. Or you can reply with your contact information and I'll have someone call you.

Look forward to helping in any way I can.

Kind regards,
Rod Browning

Unfortunately, Rod still didn't answer my question regarding why this name, if a backorder truly already exists and it is scheduled to drop in two days, is not on TDNAM yet if that is where you say it goes. Or whether or not other services will get the domain that is already in GD's control.

While I believe it is a crappy way for GD to do business regarding the inability to check a backorder before one orders, the refund part is not my major concern today. My two questions are still why it isn't on TDNAM yet, and if someone places a backorder on a GD name, does it go to the other services or just TDNAM?

rlb1313

Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Research shows: The name expired on 05/14/08 it was then listed on the TDNAM site from 6/8/08 - 6/23/08, the name was then released to the registry on 6/25. The registry will hold the name in "Registry Redemption" Status for approx. 30 days.

On 7/1 and Go Daddy customer placed a backorder for the name.

Since the original registrant has not redeemed the name, it is now "pending delete" status, with the registry. The registry will now begin checking with all the registrars to see if there are any back orders for the name.

QBert

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but to clarify; I need not bother with any other drop service. Just backorder it at GoDaddy, roughly 25 days after it expires it will appear on TDNAM? I noticed GoDaddy have allot of domains for $50,000 that would/should have been backordered with no bids, will they release mine at $50,000? Someone else have already back ordered the one I want, can I just keep and eye on tdnam and bid for it just like them when it becomes available? Where do these domains go if they get no bids?
Untill 30 days after when they will go "Registry Redemption", then after 75 days they will go "Pending Delete" and soon be dropped. Then caught by pool or the first company?
Thanks
QBert

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom