Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

WHOIS-check

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
OK, I never posted any criticism on Sedo so far and I preferred to handle this issue in private, but as no reply seems to be coming from their supportdesk (they have been mailed by 3 different parties, none of them got a reply thusfar), please allow me to post this:

I think most domainers have gone through the situation where you see a domain up for sale at Sedo at a price which seems too good to be true. You make an offer, other party accepts the offer and you wire the money to Sedo thinking "wow, let's pray this goes through, it would be a killer-deal".
After not having heard from the seller for a couple of weeks, you realize it not only looked to good to be true, but indeed it wasn't true: "fake seller".

Is Sedo to blame for this ? Well, one can argue both ways, I guess. But "errare humanum est", things like that can happen.

BUT:

Last week I sold a domainname which I had bought months ago from a respectable domainer. He had forgotten to delete the domain from the Sedo-database. Coincidentally, he also received an offer (from someone else) and accepted the offer (as he forgot he already sold the domain months ago).
Sedo didn't track the WHOIS-data and let the deal go through...

Murphy's Law wanted that my (legitimate) buyer received 2 "confirmation"-emails at the same time (it was an intra-registrar transfer of a ccTLD). He accepted the wrong one (he cannot be blamed for this as the first name of both parties were the same and he doesn't speak the language in which those emails were written).
Consequence ? Domain is transferred away to the "false buyer" (you can't blame him either as he thought he bought from the real owner).

This is causing me 1) a lot of extra work to sort out the situation and 2) loss of credibility towards my client.

One would think that if you pay a broker to handle a transaction, the FIRST thing he would do is check if the seller is the owner of the domain. One look at the WHOIS would have made clear the domain didn't belong to the Sedo-seller.

At this very moment, I need to BEG to Sedo in order for them to confirm both Sedo-seller and Sedo-buyer they'll get their money back in full, otherwise the Sedo-buyer isn't willing to transfer back the domain to my client... Go figure.
I'm not even talking about the (rather small) extra costs all parties involved will probably not be able to recuperate (2 times transfer-cost / phone call to Sedo & Registry involved / banking costs for both parties / etc.).

I'm sorry for this rant, but it irritates me tremendously.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I ran into a similar problem with sedo a few months back , it seemed to me at the time of my transaction that when a domain gets listed on their system they then record the current whois and put it into their own database , then when a transaction comes up they refer to "their" database instead of checking the current whois again, and they almost refuse to check the registrars whois at the registrars site again, so this continues for weeks until you get so upset that you scream on the phone CHECK THE GOD**** WHOIS AGAIN!!!!! Then it gets resolved.

Bart

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SearchSix, thanks for the heads up :)

Equalizer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Searchsix.com said:
so this continues for weeks until you get so upset that you scream on the phone CHECK THE GOD**** WHOIS AGAIN!!!!! Then it gets resolved.
Exactly ...
and next thing you know is that " you get a customer service survey "
How are we doing ? :greenlaugh:

Gabriel

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
UStrader, you did the right thing posting that problem here.
You will never was going to receive a solution from Sedo if you don´t post it here. May be even after posting. Sedo support really s****!
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom