Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Whois not helping me find the owner..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

notoriousfrench

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a domain I would like to make an offer on but I can't get the email info. What should
my next step be? The Whois is private.

Thanks
Greg

cbk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
if you cant find any other links on a google search related to contact info for that domain name, you can use Godaddy buy service or another buy service to get in contact with that owner even if whois is private, they will also give you an appraisal and negotiate for you.

Coldforce

Coldforce.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Email the privacy email stated in who.is, the email is linked to an email address of the owner

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One trick that might work with some registrars, is to do a whois query on port 43 (from the *nix command line), rather than use the web interface.

SiberForum

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a domain I would like to make an offer on but I can't get the email info. What should
my next step be? The Whois is private.

Email to them using email which you see on the page. If your email is not spam (it is not a spam) they are supposed to forward that to current domain name owner.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
unless the registrant set things up as to not receive any email sent to the pvcy add on the whois, or if their systems detect yours as spam, the owner should be able to get any email sent to the pvcy add on the whois, and contacting registrars works too, they may agree to send the owner your email and he'll email you directly if he wants to sell

Aristo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
One trick that might work with some registrars, is to do a whois query on port 43 (from the *nix command line), rather than use the web interface.

Katherine, would you mind going into some details about this.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you have a Linux box, try something like this from the command line:

Code:
whois -h whois.moniker.com moniker.com [Enter]
Here you are explictly querying the moniker.com whois server for the domain name moniker.com

It is sometimes possible to look up NIC handles the same way - instead of domain name enter the NIC handle.
Sometimes it must be preceded by c (contact) and a space. The syntax may vary from one server to another.
Often it's the only way to retrieve NIC handle data.

And if you don't have the whois utility you can use plain telnet against port 43 :)
Code:
telnet whois.moniker.com 43 [Enter]
Trying 208.73.208.99...
Connected to whois.moniker.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
moniker.com [Enter]

willpower101

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if you cant find any other links on a google search related to contact info for that domain name, you can use Godaddy buy service or another buy service to get in contact with that owner even if whois is private, they will also give you an appraisal and negotiate for you.

So what about going through the SEDO broker? It's like 60 bucks or something but they tell you to include your max price on their form.
So do they not appraise it for you like godaddy does?
Are brokers the most successful way to acquire a domain like this?

In my case, the domain is registered, but sitting with an emty cgi-bin for years, and the non-private email address bounces.
In a second case it's identical but registered in Japan :p I NEED one of these, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom